World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0001689781
Reproduction Date:

Title: Csepel  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: BHÉV, Budapest, Petőfi Bridge, List of districts in Budapest, Ferencváros
Collection: Csepel
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Budapest - Csepel
Country Hungary
Region Central Hungary
County Budapest
 • Total 25.75 km2 (9.94 sq mi)
 • Total 76,320
 • Density 2,963.9/km2 (7,676/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)

For the defunct Hungarian automaker see: Csepel (automobile)

Csepel (German: Tschepele) is the 21st district and a neighbourhood in Budapest, Hungary. Csepel officially became part of Budapest on 1 January 1950.


  • Location 1
  • Name 2
  • History 3
  • Population 4
  • Landmarks 5
  • Gallery 6
  • See also 7
  • External links 8


Csepel is located at the northern end of Csepel Island in the Danube, and covers one tenth of the island's area. Being on an island, it is the only complete district of Budapest which is neither in Pest nor in Buda. It has approximately 85,000 inhabitants.

Csepel is most easily accessed from central Budapest by the Csepel HÉV. Bridges connect Csepel to southern parts of Pest, Ferencváros and Pesterzsébet, and a ferry links Csepel to Soroksár.


The village and the island were named after the first comes (ispán) of the area, Csepel. The German and Serbo-Croatian names are derived from the older Hungarian one.


Csepel Island became the personal domain of Árpád after the migration of Hungarians into Pannonia in the early 10th century. It remained a favourite resort of the Hungarian kings in the Middle Ages. From 1484 onwards Csepel was the wedding-present to future Hungarian queens. The Ottoman Turks totally destroyed the village and the royal manor house in the 16th century. In the end of the 17th century Serb refugees from Turkish occupied Serbia settled here. In the beginning of the 18th century Prince Eugene of Savoy, owner of the island, re-established the settlement, and populated with German colonists. It became an independent municipality in 1742. The original village was located in the present-day Freeport (Szabadkikötő) area but it was totally destroyed by the great flood of 1838. The new village was built on higher ground, in present-day Ófalu (Old Village). The town had a population of 9462 people according to the 1910 census (the ethnic composition was 84% Hungarian and 18% German). Formerly it was a working class borough with several factories; there was even a bicycle named Csepel. During the 1956 revolution in Budapest, Hungarian fighters made their last stand in Csepel. Today, Csepel contains housing estates as well as middle class garden suburbs. The district is also home to the noteworthy sports club Csepel SC.


Ethnic groups (2001 census):

Religions (2001 census):


Noteworthy sights include the Baroque parish church built in 1770, the Csepel Gallery and Museum of Local History (newly moved to Szent Istvan ut. 230), and the Csepel Collection of Factory History.


See also

External links

  • Official web site
  • Aerial photographs of Csepel

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.