World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Holstein

Article Id: WHEBN0000045720
Reproduction Date:

Title: Holstein  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dukes of Holstein-Gottorp, Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, John Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Holstein

Schleswig
St. Peter's Cathedral
St. Peter's Cathedral
Coat of arms of Schleswig
Coat of arms
Schleswig is located in Germany
Schleswig
Schleswig
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Schleswig-Holstein
District Schleswig-Flensburg
Government
 • Mayor Arthur Christiansen
Area
 • Total 24.3 km2 (9.4 sq mi)
Elevation 1 m (3 ft)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 23,635
 • Density 970/km2 (2,500/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 24837
Dialling codes 04621
Vehicle registration SL
Website www.schleswig.de

Schleswig (Danish: Slesvig; South Jutlandic: Sljasvig, archaic English: Sleswick; Low German: Sleswig) is a town in the northeastern part of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. It is the capital of the Kreis (district) Schleswig-Flensburg. It has a population of about 27,000, the main industries being leather and food processing. It takes its name from the Schlei, an inlet of the Baltic sea at the end of which it sits, and "vik" or "vig" which means bay in Old Norse and Danish. Schleswig or Slesvig therefore means bay of the Schlei. (There is also a suggestion that the state's namesake and the term Slesvig originated from a tribe of West Slavs who lived in "Slavsvick" between the 5th century and 10th century AD.)

Geography

Map over Schleswig / Slesvig.

The city lies at the western end of the Schlei Förde, which separates the two peninsulas of Angeln and Schwansen and is on the western edge of the Schleswig-Holstein Uplands on the transition to the Geest country. The urban area ranges from 0 to 20 m above sea level. Brautsee (lake) is in the town.

The nearest major cities are Flensburg, Husum and Kiel. Autobahn 7 runs immediately west of the city. Highways 76 and 77 end in Schleswig and B 201 runs to the north of the town. Schleswig station is a stop for InterCity and Intercity-Express trains and is on the Hamburg–Neumünster–Flensburg and Husum–Kiel lines.

Climate

The climate is humid and maritime. The annual mean temperature is 8 °C and precipitation averages 925 mm.

History

Schleswig in 1600

The Viking settlement of Hedeby, located south of the modern town, was first mentioned in 804. It was a powerful settlement in the Baltic region, dominating the area for more than 200 years. In 1050, following several destructions, the population was moved to the opposite shore of the Schlei, becoming the city of Schleswig. In 1066 Hedeby was finally destroyed, and Schleswig remained as a part of the Danish kingdom.

In 1544 Gottorf Castle became the residence of the local rulers. The dukes of Gottorf were vassals of the Danish kings and ruled over much of present day Schleswig-Holstein. In 1721, when the Great Northern War ended, the dukes of Gottorf lost their power and their land became Danish crown land. After the Second Schleswig War (1864), Schleswig was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia.

Sights

Neuwerk garden with the Globushaus and Gottorf Castle in the background

Notable residents

References

  1. ^ "Statistikamt Nord – Bevölkerung der Gemeinden in Schleswig-Holstein 4. Quartal 2013] (XLS-Datei) (Fortschreibung auf Basis des Zensus 2011)".  
  2. ^ "Climate Statistics for Schleswig, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany". Retrieved August 20, 2012. 

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.