World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Lord's tube station

Lord's
Location St John's Wood
Owner Metropolitan Railway
Number of platforms 2
Key dates
13 April 1868 (1868-04-13) Opened as St. John's Wood Road
1 April 1925 Rebuilt; renamed St. John's Wood
11 June 1939 Renamed Lord's
19 November 1939 (1939-11-19) Closed
Replaced by St. John's Wood
Other information
Lists of stations
London Transport portal

Lord's was a London Underground station located in St John's Wood, north-west London.

It was opened in 1868 by the Metropolitan Railway on its Metropolitan and St John's Wood Railway line, which is now part of the Underground's Metropolitan line. It was known by a number of different names throughout its history, but its name upon closure in 1939 was taken from the nearby Lord's Cricket Ground.

History

The station was opened on 13 April 1868 as St. John's Wood Road. It was on the Metropolitan and St John's Wood Railway, the first northward branch extension from Baker Street to Swiss Cottage of the Metropolitan Railway (MR), the precursor to today's Metropolitan line. The station was located at the junction of St. John's Wood Road, Wellington Road and Park Road.

The original station building was cramped and unable to cope with peak demand during matches at the nearby Lord's Cricket Ground. It was demolished and reconstructed in 1924–25 to a design by the MR's architect Charles W. Clark with a larger building that enclosed the space above the platforms with a concrete slab to form a parking garage under the original glazed platform roof.[1] Upon reopening, the station's name was shortened to St. John's Wood on 1 April 1925. It was renamed again on 11 June 1939 to Lord's.[2]

In the mid-1930s the Metropolitan line was suffering congestion at the south end of its main route where trains from its many branches shared the limited capacity between Finchley Road and Baker Street. To ease this congestion, deep-level tunnels were built between Finchley Road station and the Bakerloo line tunnels at Baker Street station. On 20 November 1939, the Metropolitan line's service to Stanmore was transferred to the Bakerloo line and diverted to Baker Street via the new tunnels.[3] A new Bakerloo line station named St. John's Wood was opened to replace Lord's station. It had been the intention of the Underground's management to close Lord's station to normal services, but retain it for temporary use during major cricket matches, but the advent of World War

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.