World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

University of Messina

Article Id: WHEBN0002116104
Reproduction Date:

Title: University of Messina  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1997 Summer Universiade, Mediterranean Universities Union, University of Palermo, University of Catania, Roma Tre University
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

University of Messina

University of Messina
Università degli Studi di Messina
Seal of UNIME
Latin: Universitas Studiorum Messanae
Motto Tradition and change, at the centre of Mediterranean.
Established 1548
Type Public
Rector Prof. Pietro Navarra
Students 29.822
Location Messina, Italy
Campus Polo dell'Annunziata
Polo del Centro
Polo del Papardo
Sports teams CUS Messina
Affiliations UNIMED
Website www.unime.it

The University of Messina (Italian: Università degli Studi di Messina, UNIME) is a public university located in Messina, Italy. Founded in 1548 by Ignatius of Loyola, it became the model for hundreds of Jesuit colleges.[1] The university is organized in 11 Faculties.

History

The University of Messina has an old cultural and educational tradition, going back to the end of thirteenth century when a school of law was founded. In the seventeenth century people such as Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Pietro Castelli, Giovan Battista Cortesi, Carlo Fracassati, Giacomo Gallo, Mario Giurba, Marcello Malpighi and Francesco Maurolico were at the university but in 1678 it was closed because of the revolution against the Spaniards.

The University was refounded in 1838 by King Ferdinand II. In 1847 as result of the antiborbonic revolution of the city, the University was again closed and reopened after two years, with restrictions to students from regions other than Sicily.

The earthquake in 1908 destroyed a great part of the inadequately engineered University buildings including its famous library and scientific equipment. But only a year later in 1909 the Faculty of Law was reopened. The Faculties of Science, Pharmacy and Medicine reopened in the years 1914/15.

Organization

The university's Department of Engineering

The university is divided into eleven faculties, those of Economics, Education, Engineering, Humanities, Law, Sciences, Medicine and Surgery, Pharmacy, Political Sciences, Statistics and Veterinary Medicine.

The University occupies four main sites in Messina, its central Administration Buildings and four Faculties (Economics, Political Science, Law, Education) are in the centre of Messina. The Campus Policlinico situated in the south of Messina, houses the Faculty of Medicine, while the Faculties of Sciences and Engineering are in the Campus Papardo (Northern zone) overlooking the famous Strait of Messina and the three newly created natural reserves (one of them is Capo Peloro). A further northern University location is in the Annunziata academic buildings where the Faculties of Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy and Humanities are. This site is in the Annunziata zone (contrada Citola) not far from the City centre.

Points of interest

See also

References

External links

  • (Italian) University of Messina Website

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.