World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carey Island

Article Id: WHEBN0004563089
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carey Island  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Geography of Selangor, Carey, Nature sites of Selangor, Indah Island, List of islands of Malaysia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carey Island

Carey Island or Pulau Carey is an island in Selangor, Malaysia. Carey Island is located to the south of Port Klang and north of Banting town. It is a huge island separated from the Selangor coast by the Langat River, connected by a bridge from Chodoi and Teluk Panglima Garang near Banting.

History

It was named after Edward Valentine John Carey, an Englishman planter in Malaya has acquired an island from the Sultan Sir Alaeddin Sulaiman Shah of Selangor to start rubber plantations and since then until now the island is known as Carey Island or Pulau Carey. Carey began a plantation industry under Jugra Land and Carey Ltd. Rubber was introduced to the Carey Island in 1905 and a permanent work force was established in 1907. Despite its name, many locals from Klang do not consider it a real island compared to Crab Island due to its proximity to the mainland and the river that separates it from the mainland is practically a stream.

Features

It is famous for its seafood such as crabs, prawns, and various fishes. The island has palm oil plantations owned by Sime Darby Plantations. It is an initial settlement area for the Mah-Meri (pronounced ), one of the aborigine Orang Asli tribes of Malaysia. They have assimilated into modern life, with jobs in the nearby plantations and farms, but they retain their unique culture and way of life. Apart from exhibitions of their traditional dances and music, the Mah Meri are particularly known for their votive sculptures, fashioned from a kind of swamp hardwood known as "Nyireh Batu".

External links

  • Tourism Malaysia - Carey Island


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.