World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Disentis Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0004904546
Reproduction Date:

Title: Disentis Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Swiss Congregation, Disentis, Three Leagues, Imperial abbeys, Adalgott
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Disentis Abbey

Imperial Abbey of Disentis
Reichskloster Disentis (de)
Abbazia Imperiale di Disentis (it)
Claustra Imperiala da Mustér (rm)
Imperial Abbey of the Holy Roman Empire
8th century–1846


Coat of arms

Capital Disentis Abbey
Government Theocracy
Historical era Middle Ages
 •  Founded ca 720
 •  Gained immediacy probably 8th century
 •  Grey League founded 1395
 •  Grey League became
    Swiss associate

1497
 •  Joined Swiss Congregation 1617
 •  Burned and plundered
    by French troops

1799
 •  Placed under state
    control by Graubünden
1846
 •  Abbey restored 1880
Today part of   Switzerland

Disentis Abbey (German: Reichskloster Disentis) is a Benedictine monastery in the Canton of Graubünden in eastern Switzerland, around which the present town of Disentis (Romansh: Mustér) grew up.

Contents

  • Foundation to 19th century 1
  • 19th century onwards 2
  • Images 3
  • External links 4
  • References 5

Foundation to 19th century

Formerly the date of the foundation of this abbey, attributed to the local saints Placidus and Sigisbert, was held to be 614. The tradition further states that this monastery was destroyed by the Avars in 670, when the abbot and thirty monks were martyred. The abbey, dedicated to Saint Martin, was then supposedly rebuilt by Charles Martel and Saint Pirmin in about 711.

The second and current view, based on more substantial research, is however that the foundation did not take place until the early 8th century. This is corroborated by archaeological investigation showing that the first traceable structure on the site was built in or about 700 and was destroyed in about 940, which is attributed to raiding Saracens.

The account of Sigisbert, as dramatised in the 12th century work, the "Passio Placidi", is that he was a wandering Frankish monk, inspired by the ideals of Columbanus and Luxeuil, who set up a cell here, under the protection of Saint Martin. Placidus was a local magnate and landowner, who supported Sigisbert, and who was murdered by Victor, the praeses ("president") of Chur, in an attempt to prevent the loss of independence involved in the transfer of a large amount of land to the church.

One of the earliest surviving documents relating to Disentis is the so-called "Testament of Tello", Bishop of Chur, which is dated 765 and records the already very extensive properties owned by the monastery. The story of the "Passio Placidi" makes Tello the son of Viktor, and the properties a guilt offering for the murder of Placidus. Whether or not this is so, the abbey had certainly acquired a very large estate by this date.

Charlemagne visited the re-built abbey on his return journey from Rome in 800 and made many benefactions to it. It was a "Reichskloster" (directly answerable to the Emperor and thus free from the claims of other territorial lords) from very early in its existence. Disentis' claim to imperial interest was its strategic position on a vulnerable mountain pass, and successive abbots were able to capitalise on this to the advantage of the abbey.

Udalric I (1031–55) was the first abbot to be made a prince of the empire, as were several others later; many of them also became bishops of the neighbouring sees.

In 1581 the abbey was honoured by a visit from Saint Charles Borromeo. In 1617 it became a member of the newly formed Swiss Congregation (now part of the Benedictine Confederation).

The buildings were refurbished in the Baroque style around the end of the 17th century.

In 1799 the abbey was burned and plundered by the soldiers of

  • Condrau, G., 1996. Disentis/Mustér: Geschichte und Gegenwart.
  • Jacobsen. W., et al., 1991. Vorromische Kirchenbauten (Suppl.), pp. 93–95.
  • Müller, I., 1971. Geschichte der Abtei Disentis von den Anfängen bis zur Gegenwart.
  • Müller, I., 1986. Die Frühzeit des Klosters Disentis in BM, 1-45, HS III/1, pp. 474–512.

References

  •  "Disentis Abbey".  

External links

Images

The abbey continues as a religious community and as the home of a highly regarded secondary school.

Although Disentis managed to escape the dissolution which was the fate of most religious houses at that time, the 19th century was nevertheless a difficult and precarious period, with dangerously diminished material resources coupled with a loss of morale and spiritual discipline so severe that the abbey was not expected to survive. In desperation, Abbot Paul Birker of St. Boniface's Abbey, Munich, was sent in to attempt to turn the situation around, but with so little success that in 1861 he left Disentis and returned to Munich as a simple monk. Nevertheless, despite all the signs to the contrary, the abbey did survive. In 1880, with the restoration of religious houses in Switzerland, Disentis opened a secondary school, which continues to this day, and by the end of the 19th century had entirely regained its spiritual and material health.

19th century onwards

The abbey church
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.