World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Cambridge Institute of Criminology

Cambridge Institute of Criminology
Established 1959 (1959)
Director Lawrence Sherman
Location Cambridge, United Kingdom
Campus Sidgwick Site
Website .uk.ac.cam.crimwww

The Cambridge Institute of Criminology was founded in 1959, with the support of a benefaction from the Wolfson Foundation and the Howard League for Penal Reform. It is part of the University of Cambridge's Faculty of Law, but its multidisciplinary teaching and research staff are also recruited from Sociology, Psychiatry and Psychology. It is located on the Sidgwick Site in the west of Cambridge, England.

The Institute has a very active programme of funded research on a wide variety of topics — recent projects have included work on criminal careers, community policing, the effectiveness of community penalties, mentally disordered offenders, and incentives-based prison regimes. The Institute's Library, named after Sir Leon Radzinowicz, has one of the world's largest collections relating to crime, criminal justice and related topics.

The Institute offers a number of different courses, including a nine-month taught MPhil Degree in Criminology (the largest full-time postgraduate Criminology course in the UK); a twelve-month MPhil degree in Criminological Research; a 2 year MSt Degree in Applied Criminology and Police Management open to potential chief police officers and personnel working in senior positions within police forces and other parts of the criminal justice system; a 2 year MSt Degree in Applied Criminology, Penology and Management open to senior prison officers and others who work, or have interest in criminal justice systems, including lawyers and judicial officers; a PhD programme in Criminology; a Cropwood Fellowship Programme to enable four practitioners a year to participate in a 12 week period of intensive research; and various courses for undergraduate degrees

External links

  • Cambridge Institute of Criminology
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.