World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Eigiau Tramway

Article Id: WHEBN0010268472
Reproduction Date:

Title: Eigiau Tramway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Llyn Cowlyd, Dolgarrog, Llyn Eigiau, Coedty Reservoir, Narrow gauge slate railways in Wales, Cowlyd Tramway, Cedryn Quarry Tramway
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Eigiau Tramway

Coordinates: 53°11′06″N 3°50′38″W / 53.185°N 3.844°W / 53.185; -3.844

Eigiau Tramway
Locale Wales
Dates of operation c. 1907–c. 1971
Track gauge
Headquarters Dolgarrog

The Eigiau Tramway might refer to the Eigiau Quarry Tramway or to the Eigiau Reservoir Tramway.




Eigiau Quarry Tramway

The Eigiau Quarry Tramway was a narrow gauge mile-long horse-powered tramway which operated from c1863 to c1888 and served the Eigiau slate quarry [ref SH702635], near Llyn Eigiau in Caernarfonshire, Wales. The tramway was an extension of the 4-mile (6.4 km) Cedryn Quarry Tramway, operating from c1860 to serve the Cedryn slate quarry (SH719636), a little to the south-west of Llyn Eigiau. The tramway linked these two quarries to Dolgarrog in the Conwy valley.

In 1861 the North Wales Chronicle referred to "Tenders invited to construct a tram-road 5 miles (8.0 km) long from Cwm Eigia [sic] slate quarry to River Conwy". However, the tramway was initially only built as far as Cedryn, and in 1863 the Caernarvon & Denbigh Herald advertised for a contractor to extend west to Cwm Eigiau Quarry. It is entirely possible that the first reference to "Cwm Eigia slate quarry" was in fact a reference to Cedryn, for this quarry was located in Cwm Eigiau.

The mile extension was built some time before 1866, and it is likely that the name "Cwm Eigiau Tramway" became largely synonymous with that of the Cedryn Tramway. Indeed the Caedryn [sic] Slate Quarry Co. Ltd of 1863 became in 1874 the Caedryn [sic] & Cwm Eigiau Slate Co. Ltd, but was dissolved just 11 years later, the slate being of a poor quality.

Eigiau Reservoir Tramway

The Eigiau Reservoir Tramway was a narrow gauge industrial railway, built from about 1907 to aid the construction of the dam at Eigiau Reservoir. After the reservoir was completed the tramway continued in use to aid in maintenance of the reservoir and its associated feedpipes.

In 1916, when the narrow gauge Cowlyd Tramway was begun, this branching off the Eigiau Tramway at the head of the Dolgarrog inclines, the Eigiau Tramway (including the Dolgarrog inclines) was relaid to narrow gauge.

A breach of the dam on November 2, 1925, resulting in the death of 16 Dolgarrog villagers, effectively spelt the end of the tramway, although a small extension was built in that year to aid the reconstruction of Coedty Dam, which also broke. Use of the Cowlyd tramway continued.

Route

The tramway ran from Llyn Eigiau, where temporary lines ran north along the line of the dam (which was ¾ mile in length), down to Dolgarrog. The line was built to standard gauge, and largely utilized the route of the former Cedryn/Eigiau Quarry tramway which ran along the lower slopes of Moel Eilio, though at Pwll Du, about half a mile above Coedty reservoir, a small northerly diversion was made in order to avoid a former small incline.

Below Coedty a series of steep inclines ran through Dolgarrog woods down to Dolgarrog. Formerly used to lower the quarry output, they were later used to haul materials for building the dam, and also for hauling steam engines up to the more level part of the tramway. Other than the highest incline, these inclines are now used by two very visible water pipes.

Today, whilst the line of the tramway can easily be followed, and makes a pleasant walk from Eigiau down to the head of the Dolgarrog inclines, there is no evidence of rails or sleepers of any kind. The loading gauge is quite clearly that of a standard gauge railway, and in places there is evidence of minor embankments, cuttings, and a bridge. Towards Llyn Eigiau the Tramway runs along a level path, though the gradients are greater through the woods immediately above Coedty.

Locomotives

As mentioned above, conversion of the tramway to narrow gauge, i.e. that of the Cowlyd Tramway, enabled the utilization of the same locomotives, though they would have spent much more time on the Cowlyd branch, as Eigiau dam only needed maintenance during the time that Cowlyd dam was being built. Two steam engines are recorded as being used at this time, namely the German built loco Eigiau (Orenstein & Koppel, No. 5668 of 1913, latterly at Penrhyn Quarry, and a Bagnall 0-4-0ST, Works No.2080 of 1918. Upon completion of the dam, and with only maintenance work being envisaged on both dams, Eigiau was taken off, pending sale,

In 1961, an order was placed by the CEGB to Motor Rail of Bedford, to replace a Hibberd loco that had been in use. It was works No. 22154 of 1962 weighing 2.5 tons with a 28-30 h.p. 2LB diesel engine which led a charmed and seldom-used existence until removed to the CEGB Llanberis contract in September 1975 in connection with cable-laying; it accompanied some ex-Dolgarrog wagons there.'[1]

References

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.