World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bristol College, Pennsylvania

Article Id: WHEBN0019299206
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bristol College, Pennsylvania  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: William Muhlenberg Hiester, Richard Grant White, William N. Pendleton, Benjamin Chew Tilghman, Caleb Sprague Henry, Bristol College
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bristol College, Pennsylvania

White Hall of Bristol College
Bristol College as it appeared circa 1919
Bristol College, Pennsylvania
Location 701-721 Shadyside Ave., Croydon, Pennsylvania
Coordinates

40°4′48″N 74°54′8″W / 40.08000°N 74.90222°W / 40.08000; -74.90222Coordinates: 40°4′48″N 74°54′8″W / 40.08000°N 74.90222°W / 40.08000; -74.90222

Area 1.2 acres (0.49 ha)
Built 1834
Architect Davis, Alexander Jackson
Architectural style Greek Revival
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference #

84003177

[1]
Added to NRHP January 12, 1984

Bristol College, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was an Episcopal college founded in 1833 by the Epsicopal Education Society and chartered in 1834. It was based on the "manual labour system", combining education with agricultural work. The founding principal was Revd Chauncey Colton and Caleb Sprague Henry was professor of moral and intellectual philosophy. The college closed in 1837.

The college was built on the banks of the Delaware River about three miles from Bristol. The White Hall of the College, built by Alexander Jackson Davis in Greek Revival style, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Notable alumni

References

Further reading

A History of Bristol Borough in the County of Bucks, State of Pennsylvania by Doron Green 1911

External links

  • White Hall of Bristol College, 701-721 Shadyside Avenue, Croydon, Bucks County, PA: 6 photos, 2 data pages, and 1 photo caption page at Historic American Buildings Survey
  • National Register of Historic Buildings
  • Pennsylvania Colleges that have Closed, Merged, Changed Names


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.