World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Marnia Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0023695077
Reproduction Date:

Title: Marnia Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Termini Airfield, Solonzara Airfield, Sousse Airfield, Dar el Koudia Airfield, Saint-Leu Airfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Marnia Airfield

Marnia Airfield
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Coordinates
Type Military airfield
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
Built May 1943
In use June 1943
Marnia Airfield is located in Morocco
Marnia Airfield
Marnia Airfield
Location of Marnia Airfield, French Morocco

Marnia Airfield is an abandoned military airfield in Morocco, located approximately 9 km west of Tangier and 37 km north-northeast of Asilah.

History

The airfield was constructed as a temporary facility, with a hard earth or pierced steel planking (PSP) runway and parking apron. with few or no permanent structures, Tents were used for ground support operations and personnel billeting. It was used for a brief two-week period by the Twelfth Air Force 86th Bombardment Group, flying A-20 Havocs from the field in early and mid-June 1943 during the North African Campaign. After the 86th moved east to Tafaraoui Airfield, Algeria, the airfield was dismantled and the land returned to civil authorities.

Today the area where Marnia Airfield was constructed is now an agricultural area, with little or no evidence of its existence.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.