World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vitaliano Poselli

Article Id: WHEBN0042488800
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vitaliano Poselli  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thessaloniki, Architecture/New article announcements/Archive4
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vitaliano Poselli

Vitaliano Poselli (1838-1918) was an Italian architect from Sicily, mostly known for his work in the city of Thessaloniki in northern Greece.

Life

He was born in Castiglione di Sicilia in 1838, and studied in Rome. In 1867, the Catholic Church ordered him the construction of the Church of Saint Stephen in Constantinople.

From there, the Ottoman government sent him to Thessaloniki, where he built some of the most important public edifices of the city. In 1888 he was married and established his residence there. The foreign missions and representatives, such as wealthy merchants of the city, assigned him also the creation of various communal, merchant or private buildings.

Some of his most known works is the Government House (1891), the Imperial Corps Headquarters -today Greek Army Headquarters-, the New Mosque (1902), Allatini Mills, the Karipeion Melathron, the State Conservatory building (former Ottoman Bank), Stoa Malakopi (old Banque de Salonique), the Bank of Athens building (today the Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki), Villa Allatini (for the Allatini family, today housing the prefecture), Villa Morpurgo (or Vila Zardinidi), the Armenian and the Catholic churches.

He died in 1918. Many of his descendants still live in the city.

Gallery

Sources

  • Mark Mazower, Θεσσαλονίκη: "Πόλη των Φαντασμάτων", εκδόσεις Αλεξάνδρια, 2006, ISBN 960-221-354-X
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.