World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

356th Fighter Group

Article Id: WHEBN0022787468
Reproduction Date:

Title: 356th Fighter Group  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 118th Wing, New York Fighter Wing, 323d Air Division, Grenier Air Force Base, 67th Fighter Wing
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

356th Fighter Group

356th Fighter Group
Emblem of the 356th Fighter Group
Active 1942–1945
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Force
Commanders
Notable
commanders
Colonel Einar Axel Malmstrom 28 November 1943 – 24 April 1944
North American P-51K-5-NT Mustang Serial 44-11564 "Princess Jocelyn" of the 359th Fighter Squadron.
North American P-51s of the 360th Fighter Squadron in protective revetments at Martlesham Heath, 1944.

The 356th Fighter Group is an inactive Army Service Forces, being stationed at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. It was inactivated on 10 November 1945.

During World War II the group was an Eighth Air Force fighter unit stationed in England. Assigned to RAF Martlesham Heath in 1943. Despite excellent leadership had highest ratio of losses to enemy aircraft claims of all Eighth Air Force fighter groups. It earned a Distinguished Unit Citation for actions on 17, 18, and 23 September 1944 for support of Operation Market-Garden airborne forces in the Netherlands.

History

See 118th Airlift Wing for additional lineage and history information

Organized and trained in the Northeast United States by First Air Force. During training was part of the air defense of the northeast, being attached to the New York and Boston Fighter Wings.

Deployed to England aboard the RMS Queen Elizabeth and served in combat as part of VIII Fighter Command from October 1943 to May 1945, participating in operations that prepared for the invasion of the Continent, and supporting the landings in Normandy and the subsequent Allied drive across France and Germany. The group flew P-47 Thunderbolts until they were replaced by P-51 Mustangs in November 1944. Aircraft of the 356th were identified by a magenta/blue diamond pattern around their cowling.

The group consisted of the following squadrons:

From October 1943 until January 1944, operated as escort for B-17 Flying Fortress/B-24 Liberator bombers that attacked such objectives as industrial areas, missile sites, airfields, and communications.

Fighters from the 356th engaged primarily in bombing and strafing missions after 3 January 1944, with its targets including U-boat installations, barges, shipyards, aerodromes, hangars, marshalling yards, locomotives, trucks, oil facilities, flak towers, and radar stations. Bombed and strafed in the Arnhem area on 17, 18, and 23 September 1944 to neutralize enemy gun emplacements, and received a Distinguished Unit Citation for this contribution to the airborne attack on the Netherlands.

In early 1945, group's P-51 Mustangs clashed with German Me 262 jet aircraft. The group flew its last combat mission, escorting B-17's dropping propaganda leaflets, on 7 May 1945. It returned to Camp Kilmer New Jersey and was inactivated on 10 November 1945.

Redesignated 118th Fighter Group. Allotted to Tennessee Air National Guard on 24 May 1946

Lineage

  • Constituted as 356th Fighter Group on 8 December 1942
Activated on 12 December 1942
Inactivated on 10 November 1945.

Assignments

Attached to: New York Fighter Wing 30 May – 4 July 1943
Attached to: Boston Fighter Wing 4 July – 15 August 1943
Attached to: 1st Bombardment (later Air) Division, 15 September 1944 – 2 November 1945

Stations

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External links

  • Captain John Pershing Perrin DFC, 1943/44 356th FG/361st Fighter Squadron Ace – who died so others might live
  • Wartime air crash. Perrin Memorial
  • John Perrin, Class of '40 The Rutgers Oral History Archives
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.