World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

418th Bombardment Group

Article Id: WHEBN0025429923
Reproduction Date:

Title: 418th Bombardment Group  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: II Bomber Command, 415th Bombardment Group, 396th Bombardment Group, Will Rogers Air National Guard Base, 408th Armament Systems Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

418th Bombardment Group

418th Bombardment Group
Active 1943–1944
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces

The 418th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the Second Air Force, being stationed at Alamogordo Army Air Field, New Mexico. It was inactivated on 1 April 1944.

Activated during World War II initially as a Third Air Force A-20 Havoc aircrew replacement training unit (RTU). Its squadrons never reached operational strength, and no training was ever performed by the unit. It was inactivated, then reactivated under Second Air Force as a B-29 Superfortress replacement training unit, but had no equipment or personnel assigned.

History

Lineage

  • Constituted as 418th Bombardment Group (Light) on 16 July 1943
Activated on 1 August 1943
Disbanded on 15 September 1943
  • Consolidated with the 418th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in April 1958
418th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) was constituted on 28 February 1944
Activated on 11 March 1944
Disbanded on 1 April 1944

Assignments

Components

  • 696th Bombardment Squadron: 1 August-15 September 1943
  • 697th Bombardment Squadron: 1 August-15 September 1943
  • 698th Bombardment Squadron: 1 August-15 September 1943
  • 699th Bombardment Squadron: 1 August-15 September 1943

Stations

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.