World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

439th Airlift Wing

 

439th Airlift Wing

439th Airlift Wing
Active 14 May 1943 — present
Country United States
Branch Air Force
Type Airlift
Part of Air Force Reserve Command
Garrison/HQ Westover Air Reserve Base
Decorations DUC
AFOUA
FCdG w/ Palm
French Fourragère
Commanders
Current
commander
Brigadier General Steven Vautrain

The 439th Airlift Wing (439 AW) is an active United States Air Force Reserve unit. It is assigned to the Air Force Reserve Command, Fourth Air Force, and is based at Westover Air Reserve Base, Massachusetts.

The peacetime mission includes recruiting, training and supervision of personnel to assure mission readiness. The wing is also responsible for the management of aircraft maintenance and all assigned Air Force combat support real property, equipment and supplies.

Contents

  • Units 1
  • History 2
    • Lineage 2.1
    • Assignments 2.2
    • Components 2.3
    • Stations 2.4
    • Aircraft 2.5
    • Operations 2.6
    • Expeditions 2.7
    • Unit shields 2.8
  • References 3
  • External links 4

Units

The wing consists of the following component groups:

History

For additional lineage and history, see 439th Operations Group

Lineage

  • Established as 439th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium on 19 May 1949
Activated in the Reserve on 27 June 1949
Ordered to active service on 1 April 1951
Inactivated on 3 April 1951
  • Redesignated 439th Fighter-Bomber Wing on 26 May 1952
Activated in the Reserve on 15 June 1952
Inactivated on 16 November 1957
  • Redesignated 439th Tactical Airlift Wing on 14 March 1974
Activated in the Reserve on 1 April 1974
Redesignated: 439th Military Airlift Wing on 1 October 1987
Resesignated: 439th Airlift Wing on 1 February 1992.

Assignments

Components

Group

Squadrons

Stations

Aircraft

Operations

Under supervision of the 2242nd Air Force Reserve Training Center, the newly established wing trained as a troop carrier organization from 1949 until 1951 and for fighter-bomber missions from 1952 to 1957.

It replaced the 901st and 905th Tactical Airlift Groups at Westover Air Reserve Base in April 1974 and assumed tactical airlift, special operations, satellite support, and aeromedical evacuation missions. It has since taken part in tactical exercises, global airlift, and humanitarian missions. It gained two tactical groups and the responsibility for operating the military portion of Niagara Falls International Airport on 25 January 1976 and Pittsburgh International Airport on 1 October 1980, but relinquished control of those groups in 1992. During the 1980s, the wing took part in various training exercises involving tactical airlift and rotated personnel and aircraft to Panama. It also provided airlift support for the movement and training of other units and conducted local proficiency flying training missions. At the conclusion of the Iran–Iraq War in 1989, the wing transported United Nations ceasefire observers to the Persian Gulf area. It airlifted troops and equipment to Panama during the incursion into Panama at the end of the year. The 439th airlifted troops, equipment, and supplies to support global contingency, humanitarian, and anti-drug operations during the 1990s. Additionally, its airlifts included troops and cargo to Europe and the Persian Gulf area before and during the Gulf War, and Patriot missiles to Israel in 1991.

Expeditions

Unit shields

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External links

  • Westover Air Reserve Base Home Page
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.