World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing

Article Id: WHEBN0012308004
Reproduction Date:

Title: 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 451st Air Expeditionary Group, 448th Fighter-Bomber Group, 384th Air Expeditionary Group, 305th Operations Group, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing

508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing
508th Aircraft Sustainment Wing emblem
Active 1944–1945; 1952–1956; 1973–1982; 2005–present
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Aircraft Support
Part of Air Force Material Command
Garrison/HQ Hill Air Force Base
Motto Knowledge and Courage

The 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing (508 ASW) is a wing of the United States Air Force based out of Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

The 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing provides sustainment of existing systems as well as the acquisition of new and improved airpower capabilities. It serves all U.S. military services, civil agencies and multiple foreign countries. Support includes acquisition, modifications, modernization, engineering and technical, as well as maintenance, repair and planning.

The units heritage and lineage begins with the World War II 508th Fighter Group, which provided air defense of the Hawaiian Islands late in the war. During the Cold War, the Strategic Air Command 508th Fighter Escort Wing provided fighter escort for SAC strategic bombers in the 1950s; and the 508th Tactical Fighter Group trained Air Force Reserve pilots in "Wild Weasel" SAM suppression tactics in the 1970s.

Units

  • 526th ICBM Systems Group
  • 508th Fighter Sustainment Group (508 FSG)
  • 558th Aircraft Sustainment Group (558 ACSG) formerly the 508th Mature Aircraft and Simulator Sustainment Group (508 MASSG)
  • 508th Attack Sustainment Squadron

History

508th Strategic Fighter Wing Republic F-84G-20-RE Thunderjet 51-1274 being IFR by Boeing KC-97F-55-BO Stratofreighter 51-263, 1953
Emblem of the 508th Fighter Group
Emblem of the 508th Strategic Fighter Wing
Emblem of the 508th Tactical Fighter Group
The 24-ship flyover formation, Diamonds on Diamonds, was used at the F-105 retirement at Hill Air Force Base in 1985

World War II

The 508th Fighter Group was constituted on 5 October 1944 and activated on 12 October at Peterson Field, Colorado. The group trained with P-47 Thunderbolt aircraft to provide very-long-range escort for B-29 Superfortress bombardment units in the Pacific Theater.

The lack of significant Japanese fighter defense by late 1944 caused a change of mission and the group was reassigned to 15th Fighter Group.

Cold War

The 508th Fighter-Escort Wing was activated by Strategic Air Command in 1952. Its mission was to provide fighter escort for B-29 and B-50, and later B-36 intercontinental bombers. The Strategic Air Command was founded by men who had flown bombing raids against Germany during World War II. They usually encountered swarms of enemy fighters and knew the importance of having fighter escorts.

Advances in technology soon made fighter-escort wings obsolete. A single atomic bomb had more explosive power than all the bombs dropped during all of World War II, so only one of them could certainly destroy a target far more effectively than the large mass formations of World War II B-17s and B-24s. Thus SAC's missions were based on the use of an individual airplane, not a formation of them.

During its first postwar decade (1945–1955), SAC flew many B-29s left over from the war and later propeller-driven B-50s and B-36s. They were soon replaced by new jet bombers, the B-47 and B-52. The jet bombers flew so fast and so high that they were virtually immune from fighters. Plus the early jet F-84s and F-86s in SAC's fighter inventory couldn't keep up with them. The fighter-escort wings were no longer necessary, so they were either inactivated or assigned to other commands.

The wing deployed at Misawa AB, Japan, with the 319th Air Division to provide air defense, Feb~May 1953 and Feb~May 1954. It was inactivated on 11 May 1956.

Reactivated as a Tactical Air Command reserve group at Hill AFB, Utah in 1973 when the Air Force Reserve modernization program added fighter aircraft which resulted in the unit being activated as the 508th Tactical Fighter Group and being assigned F-105 Thunderchief aircraft which were returned from inactivated units being withdrawn from combat in Southeast Asia. Trained in Wild Weasel SAM suppression tactics. The unit changed from a group to a wing, inactivated, and the personnel and equipment were absorbed by the activating 419th Tactical Fighter Wing.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 508th Fighter Group on 5 October 1944
Activated on 12 October 1944
Inactivated on 25 November 1945.
  • Established as 508th Fighter-Escort Wing on 19 June 1952.
Activated on 1 July 1952.
Redesignated 508th Strategic Fighter Wing on 20 January 1953.
Inactivated on 11 May 1956
  • Redesignated as 508th Tactical Fighter Group on 1 January 1973
Activated in the reserve on 1 January 1973
Inactivated on 1 October 1982
  • Redesignated 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing on 31 January 2005
Activated on 4 March 2005

Assignments

Attached to: 39th Air Division (Defense), 8 February – 13 May 1953; 12 February – 7 May 1954

Components

Stations

Aircraft

Notes

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Ravenstein, Charles A. Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories, 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1984. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
  • 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing Factsheet

External links

  • Hill AFB Home Page
  • 508th Aircraft Sustainment Wing
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.