World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Admiralty Research Laboratory

Article Id: WHEBN0010790290
Reproduction Date:

Title: Admiralty Research Laboratory  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Edward Lee (scientist), Albert Beaumont Wood, Admiralty Research Establishment, Stephen Butterworth, HMS Badger (shore establishment)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Admiralty Research Laboratory

The Admiralty Research Laboratory, or ARL, was a research laboratory that supported the work of the UK Admiralty in Teddington, London, England.

During the First World War, the Anti-Submarine Division of the Admiralty had established experimental stations at Hawkcraig (Aberdour) and Parkeston Quay, Harwich, without-stations at Dartmouth and Wemyss Bay, to work on submarine detection methods. The Admiralty also established an experimental station at Shandon, Dumbartonshire,[1] working with the Lancashire Anti-Submarine Committee and the Clyde Anti-Submarine Committee, which subsequently moved to Teddington in 1921, becoming the Admiralty Research Laboratory. Its main fields of research expanded to include oceanography (it housed the National Institute of Oceanography, 1949-1953); electromagnetics and degaussing; underwater ballistics; visual aids; acoustics; infra-red radiation; photography and assessment techniques.[2] It moved to Teddington so that it could benefit from the expertise of the National Physical Laboratory[3]

Notable employees

Notable people who worked at the ARL included:

Notes and references

  1. ^ Shield of Empire - The Royal Navy and Scotland, Brian Lavery, Birlinn 2007, ISBN 978-1-84158-513-0
  2. ^ National Archive Information
  3. ^
  4. ^ Bio at Wellcome Trust
  5. ^ Obituary in The Times Sat Dec 28th 1985, p8
  6. ^ Bio here
  7. ^ RV Jones Papers
  8. ^ British Library of Political and Economic Science
  9. ^ Bio-details here
  10. ^ Peter Wright, Spycatcher, Toronto 1987, Stoddart Publishers, Chapter 2.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.