World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Andrew College

Article Id: WHEBN0004057801
Reproduction Date:

Title: Andrew College  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paine College, Randolph College, Emory University, Buildings and structures in Randolph County, Georgia, Education in Randolph County, Georgia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Andrew College

Andrew College
The Seal of Andrew College
Former names
Andrew Female College
Motto Lux et Scientia (Latin: "Light & Knowledge")
Established 1854 (1854)
Type Private Junior college
Religious affiliation
United Methodist Church
Endowment $10,000,000 (est. 2014)
President Kirk Treible (interim)
Administrative staff
32 (est.)
Students 316 (2013)
Location U.S.
Campus Small town, 40 acres (0.16 km²)
Colors Blue and Gold
         
Mascot Fighting Tigers
Website andrewcollege.edu

Andrew College is a Georgia.

Andrew is home to four student residence halls, a full-service dining hall, a swimming pool, tennis courts, an updated student center, and an on-campus library. The campus also houses an intramural soccer field, and an off-campus baseball field hosts the baseball team. In addition to the outdoor athletic facilities offered, students also enjoy access to a newly remodeled Jinks Physical Education Complex with racquetball courts and a weight room.

Andrew specializes in the education of freshmen and sophomores, and the College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees. The College awards Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Music (AM), and Associate of Science (AS) degrees, and students can choose from more than 50 disciplines within these three degree programs.

History

Andrew College was granted its charter as Andrew Female College by the United States to give an educational institution the right to confer degrees upon women. It was named for Bishop James Osgood Andrew of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Old Main building

In 1864, Andrew College was taken over by the Confederate Army and served as Hood Hospital during the American Civil War. It was one of three hospitals in Cuthbert. Despite its sole building being used as a hospital, classes continued on a limited basis, and female students assisted the wounded with tasks like reading and writing letters.

In 1892, a fire consumed the campus. The people of Cuthbert raised money to begin rebuilding the same year. That fall, the college reopened in what is now known as Old Main, a five-story Victorian that was constructed for $25,000.

In 1917, Andrew became a junior college, and the institution became co-educational in 1956.

Accreditation

Andrew College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees.

Student body

During the fall 2013 semester, 316 students were enrolled at Andrew College. More than 95% of students live on campus. The student profile is evenly divided between male and female, with 49% male students and 51% female students. There are students from about ten states and ten countries.

An overwhelming majority of the College’s student body originates from Albany.

The minimum SAT scores are 460 math and 460 verbal, or the ACT equivalent, and a high school GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.Almost all students attend four-year colleges after graduating from Andrew College.

Athletics

Financial

Tuition & fees plus room & board for the 2014-2015 academic year total $22,971 per student. However, with an institutional financial aid budget exceeding $2.1 million, access to the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.