World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Barly, Pas-de-Calais

Article Id: WHEBN0012859029
Reproduction Date:

Title: Barly, Pas-de-Calais  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Arras
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Barly, Pas-de-Calais

Barly

Coat of arms
Barly
Barly

Coordinates: 50°15′01″N 2°32′52″E / 50.2503°N 2.5478°E / 50.2503; 2.5478Coordinates: 50°15′01″N 2°32′52″E / 50.2503°N 2.5478°E / 50.2503; 2.5478

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Arras
Canton Avesnes-le-Comte
Intercommunality Deux Sources
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Daniel Bouttemy
Area
 • Land1 6.15 km2 (2.37 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 233
 • Population2 density 38/km2 (98/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62084 / 62810
Elevation 107–161 m (351–528 ft)
(avg. 140 m or 460 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Barly is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in northern France.

Geography

A farming village located 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Arras on the D8, D26 and D59 road junction.

Population

Sigths

  • The church of St. Leger, dating from the sixteenth century.
  • The war cemetery.


  • The eighteenth-century chateau was built between 1782 and 1784 by Vindicien-Antoine Blin, a former captain of the Rohan regiment. The work on the interior layout and the construction of outbuildings was continued until 1794 by his son, Jean-Vindicien Blin of Varlemont. He remained in Barly during the French Revolution and between 1812 and 1818 made the castle available to the bishop of Arras during the summer. After his death in 1832, his son sold the castle to the Countess of Tramecourt, who bequeathed it in 1879 to the Marquis du Luart. Owned by a Monsieur Duhem from 1914 to 1937, it was occupied by the Germans during the last war.

Left in a poor state when it was acquired in 1970 by Count Jacques d'Antin de Vaillac, the chateau has benefitted from considerable restoration with the help of the Historical Monuments of France.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • The CWGC cemetery
  • Barly on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.