World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

LNER Class ES1

Article Id: WHEBN0003922720
Reproduction Date:

Title: LNER Class ES1  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: London and North Eastern Railway electric locomotives, North Eastern Railway locomotives, British electric locomotives, British Rail electric locomotives, Bo-Bo locomotives
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

LNER Class ES1

North Eastern Railway Class ES1
NER No.1, Locomotion museum, Shildon
Type and origin
Power type Electric
Builder British Thomson-Houston, with mechanical parts sub-contracted to Brush, for North Eastern Railway
Build date 1903-1904 (contract signed with builders on 15 December 1902)
Total produced 2
Specifications
Configuration Bo-Bo
AAR wheel arr. B-B
UIC classification Bo+Bo
Gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
Wheel diameter 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m)
Wheelbase 27 ft 0 in (8.230 m)
Length 37 ft 11 in (11.557 m)
Height with pantograph lowered 12 ft 11 in (3.937 m); raised 15 ft 9 in (4.801 m)
Locomotive weight 56 long tons (57 tonnes; 63 short tons)
Electric system(s) 600–630 V DC, Third rail or catenary
Current collection
method
Contact shoe or pantograph
Traction motors British Thomson-Houston, 4 off
Performance figures
Maximum speed 27 mph (43 km/h)
Power output 640 bhp (477 kW)
Tractive effort 25,000 lbf (111.2 kN)
335 t (330 long tons; 369 short tons) @ 14 mph (23 km/h)
Train heating None
Career
Operator(s) North Eastern Railway
London and North Eastern Railway
British Railways
Number(s) NER: 1–2
LNER 1–2, later 6480–6481
BR: 26500–26501
Axle load class Route availability 2
First run 1905
Retired 1964
Disposition No.1 preserved, No.2 scrapped in 1966

British Rail Class ES1 (Electric Shunting 1)[1]is a class of two electric locomotives commissioned by the North Eastern Railway in 1902. They were of steeplecab design.

Both locomotives passed to the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923 and then to British Railways in 1948, but both were withdrawn before TOPS.

History

The North Eastern Railway was an enthusiastic and relatively early adopter of electric traction for railways. As part of a 1902 scheme to electrify the suburban railway networks in the Tyneside area, the NER's Chief Mechanical Engineer, Wilson Worsdell, also wished to electrify a 34-mile (1.2 km), horseshoe-shaped freight line that went from Trafalgar Yard in Manors to Newcastle Quayside Yard. Passing through three tunnels, this line had gradients as steep as 1:27 (3.70 %) and a number of sharp curves: it presented a formidable challenge for steam traction. Working conditions inside the tunnels were atrocious because the locomotives had to work exceptionally hard to manage the gradients which meant they produced vast quantities of choking fumes that could not disperse from the tunnels; the sparks they produced were a constant fire risk to the flammable packing materials in the yards. Electrification was the obvious answer.

The specification for new electric locomotives demanded that they be able to start a train of 150 tons on the steepest gradient, while on the level they were expected to be able to haul 300 long tons (305 t; 336 short tons) at 14 mph (23 km/h). The end-to-end journey on the branch was to be completed in 4.5 minutes.

No. 26500 at Heaton Locomotive Depot 13 June 1954

In 1900 General Electric (GE) and Thomson-Houston designed and built a locomotive of the steeplecab type for the Milan-Varese railway in Italy, electrified at 650 V DC using the third rail system. That railway opened in 1901, and the locomotive design proved successful. The North Eastern Railway's ES1s were derived from that American design, although they were designed from the start for both third rail and overhead operation: the Newcastle Quay branch used both systems—third rail in the tunnels, and overhead lines on the rest of the line.

A contract was signed with the British Thomson-Houston company on 15 December 1902, for delivery by the end of the following year. British Thomson-Houston sub-contracted the mechanical parts to Brush Electrical Engineering Co.

The electrified line was operational from 5 June 1905 and in the following year both locomotives performed exceptionally well. In 1906 they were fitted with electric heaters, the men having complained they were too cold on a wintry mornings. A few years later the bow pantographs originally fitted on their bonnets were removed, and a pantograph installed on the roof instead. With few other changes they remained in operation until the line was de-electrified and they were replaced with diesel locomotives on 29 February 1964. The line was closed five years later.

Early photographs show the locomotives with "CLASS ELECTRIC 1" painted on the bufferbeams, but this does not appear in official records.[2] In common with other LNER electric locomotives, no classification was given to these locomotives until 4 October 1945, when nos. 1 & 2 were classified ES1 (Electric Shunting 1).[1] No. 1 exchanged numbers with class D3 steam locomotive no. 4075 on 30 September 1944, but after the steam locomotive was again renumbered (to no. 2000), the electric locomotive was able to resume its original number on 24 October 1944.[3] On 14 June 1946, nos. 1 & 2 were renumbered to 6480/1;

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.