World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

California Military Academy

Article Id: WHEBN0007667679
Reproduction Date:

Title: California Military Academy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: California State Military Reserve, Sierra Army Depot, Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range, Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento, Camp Roberts, California
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

California Military Academy

Insignia of the California Military Academy

The California Military Academy is a military academy of the California Army National Guard located at Camp San Luis Obispo.

History

The school started as an idea of an "Officer Candidate School" (OCS) in 1950. However, a need for an academy in California convinced Major General Curtis D. O’Sullivan to start a program. The school's first graduating class was in 1951. During the next ten years, the program began to expand. However, the school was not called the California Military Academy until 1961, when training officially came under the new academy. In 1974, the first women graduates were commissioned from the program, two years before West Point started admitting women. The 223rd Infantry Regiment became the official school infantry. Today the academy continues on the traditions started half a century ago.

Notable Alumni

Symbols

One of the most prominent symbols of the academy is an eagle, found on the side of Guard Mountain.

See also

Sources

  • The History of the California Military Academy
  • The California Military Academy Insignia

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.