World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Catral

Article Id: WHEBN0001661803
Reproduction Date:

Title: Catral  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vega Baja del Segura, Almoradí, Albatera, Orihuela, Playa Flamenca
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Catral

Catral
Municipality
Flag of Catral
Flag
Location Catral on the Valencian Community
Location Catral on the Valencian Community
Catral is located in Spain
Catral
Catral
Location in Spain
Coordinates:
Country  Spain
Autonomous community  Valencian Community
Province Alicante
Comarca Vega Baja del Segura
Judicial district Callosa de Segura
Government
 • Mayor Aurelio David Albero García (2007) (PP)
Area
 • Total 19.24 km2 (7.43 sq mi)
Elevation 12 m (39 ft)
Population (2009)
 • Total 9,200
 • Density 480/km2 (1,200/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Catralense
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 03158; and 3349 (road to San Isidro)
Dialing code +34 (Spain) + 96 (Alicante)
Official language(s) Spanish
Website http://www.ayuntamientocatral.com/municipio.php

Catral (Spanish pronunciation: ) is a town in the Valencian Community, Spain. Located in the south of the province of Alicante, in the region of Vega Baja del Segura. It had 8,105 inhabitants in 2007 according to the National Statistics Institute of Spain.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Economy 2
  • Demographics 3
  • Government 4
  • Climate 5
  • Notes and references 6

History

Catral's origins are uncertain, as is the origin of the name. There are three theories: that the name is of Iberian origin (Kal turlthe, meaning "double peak", which would make reference tocloseCabezos of Albatera), which be of Hispanic origin (ofCastrum Altum,Villa fortified "in Latin) and Arab (Al-Qatrullät). In any case, the middle of 13th century ended the Muslim rule of Catral.

Conquered by the infant Alfonso for the Crown of Castile, he was awarded the Order of Santiago Catral sites and Callosa in 1255. However, the Castilian king reinstated the crown as in 1264. From 1296, Catral, like the southern half of the province, would go to the Crown of Aragon within the Attorney General Orihuela.

The town's farmland has increased significantly during the first two decades of the 18th century due to draining of wetlands, promoted by the Cardinal Belluga. In 1741, the 152 inhabitants of Catral paid 12,499 pounds for the title of Villa and his independence from Orihuela. In 1829, it was spared the devastating effects of an earthquake that destroyed much of the population of the region. Since then, it has held an annual thanksgiving to Saint Emigdio, patron saint against earthquakes, as a token of thanks for his intercession.

Economy

Agriculture, citrus fruits, artichokes, cereals and olive trees (cultivated in orchards that are irrigated by canals which carry water from the Segura river) produce much of the wealth together with some livestock. Growth industries include furniture, textiles, construction, food and hides.

Demographics

Catral has had a significant population growth since the 1990s. According to the census of 2008, the municipality had 8629 inhabitants.

Demographic evolution of Catral
1857 1887 1900 1910 1920 1930 1940 1950 1960 1970 1981 1991 2001 2005 2006 2007
population 3,078 2,593 2,592 3,007 3,000 3,025 3,391 3,871 4,183 3,904 4,209 4,394 5,146 6,642 7,530 8,105

Government

Year Name of mayor Political party
1979–1983 Joaquín Ñíguez Gelardo UCD
1983–1987 Francisco Gelardo Aguilar PSPV-PSOE
1987–1991 Juan Gelardo Culiañez PSPV-PSOE
1991–1995 José Manuel Rodríguez Leal PSPV-PSOE
1995–1999 José Manuel Rodríguez Leal PSPV-PSOE
1999–2003 José Manuel Rodríguez Leal PSPV-PSOE
2003–2007 José Manuel Rodríguez Leal PSPV-PSOE
2007 Aurelio David Albero García PP

Climate

Temperatures exceed 10 degrees in January and 26 degrees in July.

Notes and references

  • Flag image by Eduardo Gomez and extracted, with the consent of your website Vexilla Hispánica, http://www.vexilologia.es.
  • Web site Town Hall of Catral, http://www.ayuntamientocatral.com/municipio.php
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.