World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts

Article Id: WHEBN0013664106
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Santiago, Santiago Museum of Contemporary Art, Chilean art, List of museums in Chile, Pedro Lira
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts

Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts
Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
Established 1880
Location Santiago, Chile
Website http://www.mnba.cl/

The Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts (Unión Artística).

The current building, the "Palace of the Fine Arts" (el Palacio de Bellas Artes), dates to 1910 and commemorates the first centennial of the Independence of Chile. It was designed by the French-Chilean architect Emile Jecquier in a full-blown Beaux-arts style and is situated in the Parque Forestal of Santiago. Behind it is located the Museum of Contemporary Art (Museo de Arte Contemporáneo) of the University of Chile, in which is also located the old School of Fine Arts (Escuela de Bellas Artes).

History

The museum was officially founded on September 18, 1880, and originally named Museo National de Pinturas (National Painting Museum).

The president of Chile, Don Aníbal Pinto, the minister Don Manuel García de la Huerta, Colonel Marcos Maturana and the sculptor Jose Miguel Blanco together managed the creation of the museum, whose first director was the painter Juan Mochi.

In 1887 the government acquired a building known as "the Parthenon", which had been constructed by the Artistic Union for the purpose of hosting annual art expositions. The museum moved there and changed its name to Museum of Fine Art.

In 1901 the government decided to create an original building for the Museum and School of Fine Arts, and Emilio Jecquier was selected. The building was built in the Parque Forestal, a landscaping work by Versailles in France.

Upon the completion of the building, it was officially inaugurated on September 21, 1910, as part of an International Exposition which formed part of the celebrations for the centennial of independence. The Museum has remained in the "Palace" ever since.

Architecture

The Palacio de Bellas Artes, the current home of the Museum, is in the Neoclassical Second Empire style and the Baroque Revival style, strongly reinforced with Art Nouveau details and touches of metallic structural architecture. The central entrance is through a gigantically enlarged version of Borromini's false-perspective window reveals from Palazzo Barberini, which encloses a pedimented doorway entirely surrounded by glass, a Beaux-Arts touch. Through a broken pediment the squared cupola rises to the top. The internal layout and the facade are both modelled after the Petit Palais of Paris. The glass cupola that crowns the central hall was designed and manufactured in Belgium and brought to Chile in 1907. The approximate weight of the armour of the museum is 115,000 kg, of the glass of the cupola, 2,400 kg.

Architectonically, the floorplan of the museum is one of a central axis marked by the entrance and a grand hall with a staircase to the second floor. In the grand hall, above a balcony from the second floor, there is a carving in high relief which depicts two angels supporting a shield. They are located in the semivault above the heads of two Caryatids that arise from the balcony, carved by Antonio Coll y Pi.

Exterior of the museum after the 2010 Chile earthquake.
2010 Chile earthquake

The building received substantial damage during the 2010 Chile earthquake.

External links

  • Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
  • Virtual Tour in 360° view of Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes | Flip360

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.