Communications in Haiti

Despite wide-ranging poverty, Haiti increased its mobile phone coverage rate from 6% to 30% in one year (May 2006 to May 2007). Haiti is now the driving force in the mobile phone growth rate in the Caribbean. Radio still remains the primary information medium for most Haitians.

Television

Broadcast stations

In 2010, there were 36 VHF and 38 UHF broadcast stations. Thereware 30 UHF and 7 VHF Port-au-Prince (plus 5 cable TV systems)

Broadcast stations

In 2010, there were 34 AM and 224 FM Radio Stations. This included 66 FM and 4 AM Port-au-Prince

Televisions

38,120 (1997)

In 2010, the following were radio and TV stations in Haiti:[1]

List of Radio - Television stations
Department AM Stations FM Stations VHF Stations UHF Stations CABLE Stations SATELLITE
OUEST 4 66 7 30 3 *
SUD-EST 3 18 1 3 * *
NIPPES 0 5 0 0 0 0
SUD 3 19 9 2 2 *
GRANDE-ANSE 5 12 2 0 - -
CENTRE 2 10 3 0 - -
ARTIBONITE 6 42 6 1 - -
NORD-EST 1 9 9 9 - -
NORD 7 30 8 2 - -
NORD-OUEST 3 15 2 1 * *
TOTAL 34 226 36 38 - -

Telephone

Land lines

In 2010, there were 160,000 main lines in use.[2]

Natcom, the result of the privatization of Télécommunications d'Haiti S.A.M. (Teleco) in 2010, has a monopoly on the provision of landline services throughout the country. The Vietnamese company Viettel bought a 60% share, with the Haitian government keeping the remaining 40% of the company.[3]

Teleco was constantly hobbled by political interference which affected its performance. A net generator of revenues for the government in the 1970s and early 1980s, Teleco's fortunes then began to decline.

Mobile cellular

3.2 million (2010) or 35% coverage rate.[4]

There were four major cell phone providers in Haiti: Digicel, NatCOM, Comcel/Voila, and Haitel.

Comcel, a subsidiary of Trilogy International Partners, LLC, was a TDMA company which launched its service in September 1999.

Haitel, an independent company founded by Franck Ciné, a Haitian-American and former MCI Inc executive, adopted CDMA technology.

Digicel Haiti, an affiliate of the pan-Caribbean Digicel Group won Haiti's first GSM license in June 2005 and launched service in early 2006.

In May 2006, Comcel and Haitel had a total of about 500,000 subscribers - a cell phone coverage rate of 6% for a population of 8.2 million. Digicel entered the market in May 2006. After one year of operations, May 2006-May 2007, Digicel went from zero to 1.4 millions subscribers. The other two cell phone providers, Comcel and Haitel, responded by cutting their prices and offering new services such as Voilà, a GSM service by Comcel, and CDMA 2000 by Haitel. As a result, Comcel and Haitel increased their subscribers from 500,000 to 1 million. As of April 2012, Digicel has about 3.5 millions cell phone subscribers in Haiti.[5] In May 2007, Digicel started offering two BlackBerry services with Internet, one for enterprises and one for individuals. On March 30, 2012, Digicel has made the acquisition of Comcel / Voila, its main competitor in the Haitian market.

System

Domestic facilities are barely adequate. International facilities are slightly better

domestic:
coaxial cable and microwave radio relay trunk service
international:
satellite earth station - 1 Intelsat (Atlantic Ocean)

Internet

Haiti's

There are 5 Internet service providers serving the country. Among them are Multilink,[7] H@inet[8] and Access Haiti.[9] In June 2010, Viettel (Natcom) announced that it would provide high speed internet throughout the country by laying 3,100 km (1,900 mi) of optical fiber.[10]

The Haitian telecommunications authority, This will enable them to deploy faster mobile internet access speeds throughout their network than what is currently available with GPRS/EDGE.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.