World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Culver Shuttle

Article Id: WHEBN0001683201
Reproduction Date:

Title: Culver Shuttle  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: New York City Subway nomenclature, New York City Subway, B Division (New York City Subway), 6 (New York City Subway service), Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Culver Shuttle

Culver Shuttle
S symbol
Northern end Ninth Avenue
Southern end Ditmas Avenue
Stations 4

The Culver Shuttle was a former New York City Subway shuttle, running along a remnant of the BMT Culver Line, most of which is now the IND Culver Line. It had formerly been a through service between Manhattan and Coney Island, known as the BMT 5 service.

Fleet of the Culver Shuttle

 
5

CULVER
 
SS

SHUTTLE
R1 end rollsign

The fleet consisted of R1s, and R27s/R30s; all were equipped with side rollsigns. On the last run of the Culver Shuttle, the R27/R30 train had its side rollsigns read:

SPECIAL
9TH AVENUE
S I SPECIAL

History

The number 5 was assigned in 1924. At the time, all BMT Culver Line trains used the elevated BMT Fifth Avenue Line, running over the Brooklyn Bridge to Park Row. Rush-hour trains made no stops between 36th Street and Atlantic Avenue (both directions in morning rush hour, southbound only in afternoon rush hour).

Subway trains started to run on the Culver Line on May 30, 1931, when the Nassau Street Loop was completed. These trains used the south half of the Nassau Loop, ending at Chambers Street. During rush hours and Saturday mornings, they used the full loop, entering Manhattan via the Manhattan Bridge and leaving via the Montague Street Tunnel. These trains only ran to Kings Highway on the Brooklyn end. Rush hour trains ran express on the BMT Fourth Avenue Line; trains operating in the reverse-peak direction ran express between Ninth Avenue and Kings Highway. Elevated service was cut back to Ninth Avenue, except during rush hours, when it was extended to Coney Island (and continued to run express on the Fifth Avenue Line, though both directions during both rush hours).

The BMT Fifth Avenue Line was closed on May 31, 1940, and from that time all Culver trains used the subway.

On October 30, 1954, the south part of the Culver Line was connected to the IND South Brooklyn Line, and BMT Culver trains were truncated to Ditmas Avenue, where there was a transfer to IND trains to Coney Island. Some Culver trains continued to run into Manhattan until 1959, when they were all truncated to a shuttle between Ninth Avenue and Ditmas Avenue.

This shuttle, assigned the label SS in 1960, last ran on May 10, 1975. The elevated trestle along with the 13th Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway stations stood abandoned until finally being demolished in the mid-1980s. The only remnants of the Culver Shuttle are the lower platforms and tracks at Ninth Avenue and a section of the trestle that is attached to the Coney Island bound platform at Ditmas Avenue on the Culver Line. The right of way has been sold, as houses have been built on the old right of way near the Ditmas Avenue station. After the shuttle was discontinued, new signs were hung stating what passengers had to do since the shuttle stopped running. A sign like this may have read:

Culver Shuttle service discontinued
Cross over to other platform
Ride one stop to Church Av
for B-35 bus transfer

External links

  • CulverShuttle.com - Photos and history of the Culver Shuttle
  • BMT Culver Line (NYCSubway.org)
  • CULVER’S TRAVELS. The demolition of a Brooklyn elevated link (Forgotten New York)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.