World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Düsseldorf-Holthausen

Article Id: WHEBN0012020244
Reproduction Date:

Title: Düsseldorf-Holthausen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Düsseldorf-Reisholz, Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf-Lierenfeld, Düsseldorf-Vennhausen, Düsseldorf-Flehe
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Düsseldorf-Holthausen

Holthausen is an urban borough of Düsseldorf. It is located south of Oberbilk, west of Reisholz, north of Benrath and east of Itter and Himmelgeist. An natural border is the river Rhine.

Holthausen's history is connected to the history of Itter, Himmelgeist, Benrath, Wersten and Bilk. Until the 18th century its name was Langenweyer. First settlements in that area were formed in the 9th century before Christ, with continuous settlements existing since the 2nd century after Christ. The name Holthausen was mentioned first time about 1700. Until the beginning of the industrial revolution, Holhausen was a small village. It changed after the Henkel Company opened its headquarters in Holthausen. In 1823 Holthausen had 322 inhabitants; in 1869 – 384; in 1895 – 556 people lived in Holthausen; 1905 – 1,884 people. Holthausen's population was at its largest in 1969 – 15,000 inhabitants. Around 12,000 people live there today.

From 1909 to 1929 Holthausen was a part of Benrath and in 1929 it became part of Düsseldorf.

Holthausen still has some important industrial head offices today, as Henkel is still in Holthausen, right next to the Cognis Group HQ. There are two underground lines (U74 and U77), two tram lines (701 and 713) as well as the bus lines (724, 789, 817, 835 and NE7) in Holthausen. Holthausen is connected to the federal highway A 46 (Neuuss- Düsseldorf - Wuppertal) and the federal road B 8 goes across it.

In the south of Holthausen there is a great forest area, the Heyepark and a sports park.


This article is based on a translation of an article from the German WorldHeritage.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.