World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dinas, Gwynedd

Article Id: WHEBN0003027267
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dinas, Gwynedd  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Groeslon, Tudweiliog, Dinas railway station, Dinas, Trains/Featured picture/Week 40, 2005
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dinas, Gwynedd

Dinas is a large hamlet near Bontnewydd, Caernarfon, in Gwynedd, north-west Wales.

It is in the ancient parish and modern community of Llanwnda and is served by the parish church of St. Gwyndaf in Llanwnda village, which is about a quarter of a mile to the south.

The hamlet developed with the opening of the turnpike Toll roads from Caernarfon first to Pwllheli in 1805, then to Porthmadog in 1810. Two coaching inns were built to serve the roads, Y Mount, which is now an Indian restaurant and Tafarn Hen, which is now a private residence.

The Carnarvonshire Railway was built in 1866 on the route of the horse drawn Nantlle Railway. The building in 1878 of the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways (later part of the Welsh Highland Railway) resulted in the opening of Dinas Junction station complete with slate transshipment facilities, which brought the construction of houses for the railway staff. The 20th century saw the development of suburban housing for Caernarfon.

The present Dinas railway station, on the site of the Dinas Junction, was reopened in 1997 as a base for rebuilding the Welsh Highland Railway from Caernarfon to Porthmadog. It is a visitor attraction and local passenger facility that also links Dinas to Waunfawr, Beddgelert, Pont Croesor and beyond.

External links

  • www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Dinas and surrounding area


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.