World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Efringen-Kirchen

 

Efringen-Kirchen

Efringen-Kirchen

Coat of arms
Efringen-Kirchen
Efringen-Kirchen

Coordinates: 47°39′20″N 7°33′57″E / 47.65556°N 7.56583°E / 47.65556; 7.56583Coordinates: 47°39′20″N 7°33′57″E / 47.65556°N 7.56583°E / 47.65556; 7.56583

Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Freiburg
District Template:Link if exists
Subdivisions 9
Government
 • Mayor Wolfgang Fürstenberger
Area
 • Total 43.74 km2 (16.89 sq mi)
Elevation 258 m (846 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 8,349
 • Density 190/km2 (490/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 79588
Dialling codes 07628
Vehicle registration
Website www.efringen-kirchen.de

Efringen-Kirchen is a municipality in the district of Lörrach in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

Fortifications

During World War I fortifications were built at Istein, these were destroyed at the end of the war. In 1936 plans were drawn up to turn the location into the "Gibraltar of the West" with two kilometres of underground passages linking gun emplacements and bunkers. The site was to host an underground garage for over 100 tanks, 3600 men and as part of the West Wall it would dwarf similar Maginot Line fortifications. Work began in 1937 and Hermann Göring visited in the Spring of 1938. By 1939 several installations were complete but as the war progressed advantageously for the Germans in 1940 the site remained unfinished.[2]

Communities within Efringen-Kirchen

  • Blansingen
  • Efringen
  • Egringen
  • Huttingen
  • Istein
  • Kirchen
  • Kleinkems
  • Mappach
  • Maugenhard
  • Welmlingen
  • Wintersweiler[3]

Notes

External links

  • (German) Information about and images
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.