World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fulton Theatre

Article Id: WHEBN0013262516
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fulton Theatre  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gigi, Audrey Hepburn, Margaret Rutherford, Kim Stanley, Abie's Irish Rose, Luv (play), Mary, Mary (play), Robert W. Dowling, List of compositions by Victor Herbert, Kiss Them for Me (play)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fulton Theatre

Fulton Theatre
Helen Hayes (originally Fulton) Theatre, circa 1980.
Address 210 West 46th Street
City New York City
Country United States
Architect Herts & Tallant
Type Broadway
Opened April 27, 1911
Reopened October 20, 1911
Demolished 1982
Other names Folies-Bergere, Helen Hayes Theatre

The Fulton Theatre was a Broadway Theatre located at 210 West 46th Street in New York that was opened in 1911. It was renamed the Helen Hayes Theatre in 1955. The theatre was demolished in 1982. Since a new Helen Hayes Theatre now exists in Manhattan, the Fulton Theatre is now sometimes referred to as the First Helen Hayes Theatre.

History

Built by the architects Herts & Tallant for Henry B. Harris and Jesse Lasky, it was originally opened on April 27, 1911, under the name Folies-Bergere as a dinner theatre with vaudeville. The building featured three murals and a color scheme by leading American muralist William de Leftwich Dodge. 18-year-old Mae West was discovered here by the New York Times at her Broadway debut on September 22, 1911.[1] Closing after that, the theatre reopened on October 20, 1911, as the Fulton Theatre. The theatre was managed by Abraham L. Erlanger from 1921, until his death in 1930.

In 1955, the theatre was renamed the Helen Hayes Theatre in honor of the renowned actress Helen Hayes and re-opened under that name on November 21.

In 1982, the theatre was demolished, along with the Morosco, Bijou, Gaiety and Astor Theatres, to make way for the Marriott Marquis Hotel, which now houses the Marquis Theatre. Parts of the Helen Hayes Theatre were salvaged before the theatre's demolition and were used to build the Shakespeare Center, home of the Riverside Shakespeare Company on the Upper West Side, which was dedicated by Miss Hayes and Joseph Papp in September 1982.[2]

Since Helen Hayes was still living at the time of the demolition of the theatre that bore her name, it was decided to rename the nearby Little Theatre at 240 West 44th Street in her honor.

Performers

The English actor Robert Morley played the title role in the play Oscar Wilde by Leslie and Sewell Stokes in 1938 at the Fulton. The play ran for 247 performances and the success launched Morley's career as a stage actor on both sides of the Atlantic.

Audrey Hepburn starred in the Gilbert Miller production of Gigi, which opened at the Fulton on November 24, 1951, and ran for 219 performances.

References

External links

  • Fulton Theatre (later Helen Hayes Theatre) At Internet Broadway Database
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.