World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gare Loch

Article Id: WHEBN0000623098
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gare Loch  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Firth of Clyde, 1917 in Scotland, Mervyn Wingfield, Rosneath, Robert Napier (engineer)
Collection: Lochs of Argyll and Bute, Sea Lochs of Scotland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gare Loch

The Gare Loch or Gareloch (Gaelic: An Gearr Loch) is a sea loch in Argyll and Bute, Scotland.

Gare Loch.

Geography

A sea loch aligned north-south, Gare Loch is 10 kilometres long with an average width of 1.5 kilometres. At its southern end it opens into the Firth of Clyde through the Rhu narrows. The village of Rosneath lies on the western shore just north of Rosneath Point and gives the name Rosneath Peninsula to the whole body of land separating the Gare Loch from Loch Long to the west. The area lies in the Lieutenancy area and former county of Dunbartonshire.

The town of Helensburgh lies on the eastern shore, giving attractive views across to Rosneath Point. Rhu, to the north of Helensburgh, features a yacht marina. Further north the eastern shore is dominated by the Faslane Naval Base, the home of the United Kingdom's Trident nuclear submarines. The loch was the site of a major naval base during World War II and was used to store decommissioned naval vessels in the 1950s. A shipbreakers yard ceased trading in the 1980s and has been absorbed into the naval base.

At the north end of the loch the substantial village of Garelochhead includes adventure holiday facilities and has a station on the West Highland Line. Garelochhead is used as a Royal Marine training centre. The Gare Loch offers good conditions for sightseeing, sailing and sea angling. The Greek sugar boat Captayannis was heading for the sheltered waters of the Loch but now lies wrecked in the Clyde.

External links

  • Map showing Gherr Loch (Gair Loch), circa 1600, National Library of Scotland


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.