World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gerbini Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0023627538
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gerbini Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 60th Operations Group, 47th Operations Group, 12th Operations Group, Sousse Airfield, Termini Airfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gerbini Airfield

Gerbini Airfield
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Plain of Catania
Coordinates
Type Military airfield
Code 505
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
Built 1943
In use 1943-1944
Gerbini Airfield is located in Italy
Gerbini Airfield
Gerbini Airfield
Location of Gerbini Airfield, Sicily

Gerbini Airfield is a series of abandoned World War II military airfields in Sicily, located 23 kilometres (14 mi) west of Catania, near the intersection of the A19 and SP24 highways. The airfields consisted of a series of flat agricultural fields, used for runways and parking areas. First used by German Luftwaffe forces during the Battle of Sicily, they were attacked on several occasions by United States Army Air Force Twelfth Air Force bomber aircraft. Later, they were seized by Allied ground forces and used by the USAAF during the battle. Army engineers compacted the earth and improved the field for use by light and medium bombers. Also a tent encampment was established for ground support and for station infrastructure. Twelfth Air Force units stationed at Gerbini were:

When the C-47s moved out at the end of 1944, the airfield was dismantled and returned to its owners. Today the locations of the airfields are indistinguishable from the many agricultural fields in the area.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.