World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gonzalez Videla Station

Article Id: WHEBN0013456518
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gonzalez Videla Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of country calling codes, Research stations in Antarctica
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gonzalez Videla Station

Coordinates: 64°49′S 62°52′W / 64.817°S 62.867°W / -64.817; -62.867

González Videla Antarctic Base
Location of González Videla Base in Antarctica

González Videla Base, on the Antarctic mainland's Waterboat Point in Paradise Bay, is named after Chilean President Gabriel González Videla, who in the 1940s became the first chief of state of any nation to visit Antarctica. The station was active from 1951–58, and was reopened briefly in the early 1980s. It is now an "inactive" base, with fuel and supplies in storage in the buildings for emergency use, or in case the base were to be reactivated in the future. Occasional summer visits are made by Chilean parties and tourists.

On the north edge of the station there is a sign identifying Waterboat Point as an official historic site under the Antarctic Treaty.

This was the place where the smallest ever wintering-over party (two men) spent a year and a day in 1921-1922. The two men, Thomas Bagshawe and M.C. Lester, had been part of the British Imperial Expedition, but their particular project, which involved flying a number of aircraft to the South Pole, was aborted. Nevertheless, they decided to stay over for the winter and made their shelter in an old whaling boat they found on this site. Their time was not wasted, however, because Bagshawe wrote the first scientific study of penguin breeding development. And today the gentoos, probably descendants of the ones he studied, nest in the ruins of the whaleboat shelter.

References

Sources

External links

  • Official website Chilean Antarctic Institute
  • COMNAP Antarctic Facilities
  • COMNAP Antarctic Facilities Map
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.