Great St Bernard Hospice


The Great St Bernard Hospice is a hospice or hostel for travellers in Switzerland, at 2469m altitude at the Great St Bernard Pass in the Pennine Alps. The frontier with Italy is only a few hundred metres to the south.

History

The first hospice or monastery was the 9th century one at Bourg-Saint-Pierre mentioned for the first time around 812-820. This was destroyed by Saracen incursions in the mid-10th century, probably in 940, the date at which they also occupied Saint-Maurice. Around 1050 saint Bernard of Menthon, archdeacon of Aosta, regularly seeing travellers arriving terrorised and distressed, decided to put an end to mountain brigandage in the area. With this in mind he founded the hospice at the pass which later bore his name (it was originally dedicated to St Nicholas). The church's first textual mention is in a document of 1125. The hospice was placed under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Sion, prefect and count of Valais, thus explaining why the whole pass is now in Swiss territory.

The St. Bernard dog breed was created at the hospice from cross-breeding dogs, probably those offered by families in Valais in the 1660s and 1670s. The first definite mention of the breed is in 1709. The breed was originally raised to provide guard dogs for the hospice, before they became mountain rescue dogs. (The raising was transferred to the Barry foundation at Martigny in 2004.) In June 1800, Napoleon Bonaparte ordered a monumental tomb to be built at the Hospice for Louis Desaix (killed at the battle of Marengo), even though Desaix had not crossed the Alps with the armée de réserve. His body rested at Milan from 1800 to 1805, when it was buried at the hospice in the presence of Berthier, representing the emperor. A commemorative monument set up there in a chapel was moved in 1829, so that Desaix now lies anonymous under an altar dedicated to Saint Faustina.

External links

  • (French) Congregation of Canons Regular at Grand-Saint-Bernard

Sources

  • (French) Jean-Luc Rouiller, Le Valais par les dates : une chronologie des origines à nos jours, dans Annales valaisannes, 1999, p. 105, 106, 109.
  • (French) Le Grand-Saint-Bernard (collectif), dans Les chanoines réguliers de Saint-Augustin en Valais, Bâle, 1997 (Helvetia sacra, IV/1)
  • (French) Lucien Quaglia, La maison du Grand-Saint-Bernard des origines aux temps actuels, Martigny, 1972.

Coordinates: 45°52′08″N 7°10′14″E / 45.86889°N 7.17056°E / 45.86889; 7.17056

References

  • Hyde, W. W., 'The Great St. Bernard Pass and its Hospice', in Isis, vol. 27, 1937, pp. 306–320, Available on JStor
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.