World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hendon War Memorial

Article Id: WHEBN0019695939
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hendon War Memorial  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: The Burroughs
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hendon War Memorial

Hendon War Memorial in Hendon, North London is located on the central reservation at the junction between Watford Way and The Burroughs. It was unveiled on St George's Day, 23 April 1922, but was moved to its present location in 1962.

History of the area

By 1906, Sir Audley Neeld was building on the land that had been Renters Farm, starting with a new road from Station Road to Queens Road, later called Vivian Avenue. The eventual estate used many names associated with the family: Dallas, Audley, Elliot, Graham, Rundell, Vivian, and Algernon and, of course, Neeld. Other names are associated with Neeld estates in Grittleton, including Alderton, Foscote, Sevington, and Allington.

Hendon Central tube station and the Watford Way were constructed in 1923. Originally, the road was planned to cut through the Neeld Estate, but in January 1924 a local ratepayers' group in Hendon Central, backed by Hendon Urban District Council, petitioned the County Council and central government, and the route was changed so that it would pass up Queen's Road (better known now as Hendon Way).

Coordinates: 51°35′08″N 0°13′49″W / 51.5856°N 0.2303°W / 51.5856; -0.2303


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.