World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hendre-Ddu Tramway

Article Id: WHEBN0006913504
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hendre-Ddu Tramway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Corris Railway, Aberangell, Amerton Railway, Llangollen and Corwen Railway, Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hendre-Ddu Tramway

Hendre-Ddu Tramway
Map of the Hendre-Ddu tramway; not all lines shown existed at the same time
Locale Wales
Dates of operation 1867–1954
Successor abandoned
Track gauge 2 ft (610 mm)
Length 3 12 miles (5.6 km)
Headquarters Aberangell

The Hendre-Ddu Tramway was a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge industrial railway built in 1867 to connect the Hendre-Ddu Slate quarry to Aberangell station on the Mawddwy Railway. It consisted of a main line 3½ miles long and several branch lines and spurs serving other quarries, local farms and the timber industry.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Operation 2
  • Locomotives 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5

History

Hendre Ddu slate quarry opened in the 1850s, and in 1864 the Hendre Ddu Slate and Slab Co. was established by Sir Edmund Buckley. The Company specialised in slate slabs for billiard table beds.

The standard gauge Mawddwy Railway, opened in 1867 connected the Cambrian Railway at Cemmaes Road to Dinas Mawddwy, passing through the small village of Aberangell. Sir Edmund Buckley built the Hendre Ddu Tramway to carry slate from his quarry down to Aberangell station. Several other quarries had branches and spurs onto the Tramway, as well as a brickworks, a sawmill and several local farms.

The slate slabs for billiard tables were carried on special trestle wagons similar to those on the nearby Corris Railway. Quarry workers rode in open cars which were occasionally also used for tourist excursions. During the First World War a branch was laid in lightweight portable "Jublilee" track from Cefn Gwyn along Cwm Caws for timber extraction.

When this work was finished in 1917 the track was lifted and re-laid on the trackbed of a long closed branch to Coed y Chwarel. It is believed that Baguley petrol locomotive No. 774 was used on this line. This locomotive is now preserved as part of the collection of the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum.

During 1940 the Coed y Chwarel branch was again re-laid using Jubilee track for further timber extraction. This line was not lifted until October 1954 although the Hendre Ddu Tramway itself was converted into a road in 1941 for the safer conveyance of munitions which were stored in the Hendre Ddu Quarries during the war and for some years afterwards.

Operation

The wagons descended by gravity and were hauled back by horses, later by a road tractor and then a Simplex petrol loco was used from 1922.

Locomotives

Builder Type Works Number Built Notes
Motor Rail "Simplex" 4wPM 2059 Acquired for the tramway in 1922
Hendre-Ddu Tramway Lorry conversion n/a 1930 Unsuccessful and short-lived conversion of an Overland lorry
Baguley 4wPM 744 Believed to be used on the Coed y Chwarel forestry branch.

References

  • - reprinted as The Mawddwy, Van & Kerry Branches, Oakwood Press, 2004

External links

  • Narrow Gauge Railway Museum entry about the tramway
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.