World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Huntington Avenue Grounds

Huntington Avenue American League Base Ball Grounds
Huntington Avenue Grounds
Location Boston, Massachusetts
Coordinates
Owner Boston Red Sox
Capacity 11,500
Field size Left Field - 350 ft
Left-Center - 440 ft
Center Field - 530 ft (1901), 635 ft (1908)
Right Field - 280 ft (1901), 320 ft (1908)
Backstop - 60 ft
Construction
Broke ground March 9, 1901
Opened May 8, 1901
Closed After 1911 season
Demolished 1912
Tenants
Boston Red Sox (MLB) (1901-1911)

Huntington Avenue American League Base Ball Grounds is the full name of the baseball stadium that formerly stood in Boston, Massachusetts, and was the first home field for the Boston Red Sox (known informally as the 'Boston Americans' until 1908) from 1901-1911. The stadium, built for $35,000, was located across the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad tracks from the South End Grounds, home of the Boston Braves.

The grounds during a game. Note building from which the famous 1903 "bird's-eye" photo was taken (see the infobox to the right for the picture).

The stadium was the site of the first World Series game between the modern American and National leagues in 1903, and also saw the first perfect game in the modern era, thrown by Cy Young on May 5, 1904. The playing field was built on a former circus lot and was fairly large by modern standards-530 feet to center field, later expanded to 635 feet in 1908. It had many quirks not seen in modern baseball stadiums, including patches of sand in the outfield where grass would not grow, and a tool shed in deep center field that was actually in play.

The Huntington Avenue Grounds was demolished after the Red Sox left at the beginning of the 1912 season to play at Fenway Park. The Cabot Center, an indoor athletic venue belonging to Northeastern University, now stands on Huntington Grounds footprint. A plaque and a statue of Cy Young was erected in 1993 where the pitchers mound used to be, commemorating the history of this ballpark in what is now called World Series Way. Meanwhile, a plaque on

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.