World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jerez de los Caballeros

Article Id: WHEBN0004035170
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jerez de los Caballeros  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jerez CF, Hernando de Soto, Badajoz, Province of Badajoz, Santa Marta, Extremadura
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jerez de los Caballeros

Jerez de los Caballeros
Town
Coat of arms of Jerez de los Caballeros
Coat of arms
Jerez de los Caballeros is located in Spain
Jerez de los Caballeros
Jerez de los Caballeros
Location in Spain
Jerez de los Caballeros is located in Extremadura
Jerez de los Caballeros
Jerez de los Caballeros
Location in Extremadura
Coordinates:
Country  Spain
Autonomous Community  Extremadura
Province Badajoz
Comarca Sierra Suroeste
Government
 • Mayor Margarita Pérez Egea (PSOE)
Area
 • Total 740 km2 (290 sq mi)
Elevation(AMSL) 506 m (1,660 ft)
Population (2012)
 • Total 9,870
 • Density 13/km2 (35/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (GMT +2) (UTC+2)
Postal code 06380
Area code(s) +34 (Spain) + 924 (Badajoz)
Website www.jerezcaballeros.es

Jerez de los Caballeros is a town of south-western Spain, in the province of Badajoz. It is situated on two heights overlooking the River Ardila, a tributary of the Guadiana, 12 miles east of the Portuguese frontier. The old town is surrounded by a Moorish wall with six gates. The newer portion is well and regularly built, and planted with numerous orange and other fruit trees. Its staple trade is in agricultural produce, especially in ham and bacon from herds of swine which are reared in the surrounding oak forests. The town is said to have been founded by Alfonso IX of Leon in 1229; in 1232 it was extended by his son Ferdinand III the Saint, who gave it to the Knights Templar. Hence the name Jerez de los Caballeros, Jerez of the Knights. It was also the birthplace of the explorers Hernando de Soto and Vasco Núñez de Balboa.

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.