World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kineton railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0016081631
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kineton railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kineton, Burton Dassett railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kineton railway station

Not to be confused with Kyneton railway station, Victoria.
Kineton
Location
Place Kineton
Area District of Stratford-on-Avon
Operations
Original company East and West Junction Railway
Pre-grouping SuA&MJR
Post-grouping London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Western Region of British Railways
Platforms 2
History
1 June 1871 Station opens
1 August 1877 closed
22 February 1885 reopened
7 April 1952 Station closes[1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Kineton railway station was a railway station located to the west of Kineton, Warwickshire, England. It stood at the junction of Warwick Road (B4086) and Brookhampton Lane, on a site now occupied by the Plantagenet trading estate.

History

Opened on 1 June 1871, the station was situated on the East and West Junction Railway's route from Stratford-upon-Avon to Fenny Compton. Until July 1873, it was the headquarters and western terminus of the line. When the connection to Stratford was completed, the latter became the headquarters.

Business did not meet expectations and, in 1877, the station closed. In attempt to improve matters, an extension to Broom Junction was incorporated in 1873 by means of a railway called the "Evesham Redditch and Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway" which opened in 1879. As trade picked up, the station was reopened on 22 February 1885.[2] The line became part of the Stratford-upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway in a merger of 1908 and at grouping in 1923, it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway. At nationalisation it became part of the Western Region of British Railways.

The station had two platforms for the passing loop on the otherwise single line. It was larger than was usual for the line, the brick built station buildings consisting of two pavilions with a central connection, and with quoined door and window openings. There was a siding to the goods shed and coal yard. This branched off what was, in effect, an extended headshunt to the down side of the loop, and itself had a runaround loop built into it. This was extended in 1959 when the line was modernised by the Western Region. The up line also had a small carriage siding behind the platform with a staff cabin, again connected to the main line by a headshunt.

Initially the single line was operated on the "one engine in steam" principle. However after completion to Stratford, absolute block working with them was introduced, with electric train staff working after 1894.

About four miles to the east, at Burton Dassett, was a connection with the abortive Edge Hill Light Railway.

A typical service, as in 1942, would be two through trains in either direction, with the addition of two to Stratford on Saturdays. The passenger service was withdrawn on 7 April 1952, although through traffic continued to gain access to the Great Western Railway at Fenny Compton until 5 July 1965.

A short distance to the east, there are military railway sidings serving an ammunition depot. The sidings are also used for rolling stock storage on behalf of British train operators. The area also had an extensive closed rail system used to train military railmen.

Routes


|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Ettington | style="background:#960018; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|SMJR
East and West Junction Railway | style="background:#960018;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Burton Dassett Halt |}

References

External links

  • Warwickshire Railways

Coordinates: 52°09′27″N 1°31′05″W / 52.1575°N 1.5181°W / 52.1575; -1.5181

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.