World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

La Sebala Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0023719146
Reproduction Date:

Title: La Sebala Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 52d Operations Group, Termini Airfield, Dar el Koudia Airfield, Marnia Airfield, Saint-Leu Airfield
Collection: Airfields of the United States Army Air Forces in Tunisia, Airports Established in 1943
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

La Sebala Airfield

La Sebala Airfield
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Coordinates
Type Military airfield
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
Built 1943
In use 1943
La Sebala Airfield is located in Tunisia
La Sebala Airfield
La Sebala Airfield
Location of La Sebala Airfield, Tunisia

La Sebala Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield in Tunisia, which was located about 1 km north of Cebalat; 15 km north-northwest of Tunis. It was a temporary airfield constructed by Army Engineers using compacted earth for its runway, parking and dispersal areas, not designed for heavy aircraft or for long term use.

The airfield was used by the United States Army Air Force Twelfth Air Force 52d Fighter Group between 21 May and 30 July 1943, flying combat operations with P-40 Warhawks over Sicily and Italy, as well as taking part in the Pantelleria reduction.

After the 52d moved to Boccadifalco on Sicily, the airfield was closed and dismantled. Today, there is traces of the airfield remaining on the landscape visible from aerial photography, but no buildings or physical features.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.