World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Llan Ffestiniog

Article Id: WHEBN0000619999
Reproduction Date:

Title: Llan Ffestiniog  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Blaenau Ffestiniog, Ffestiniog, Festiniog and Blaenau Railway, Villages in Gwynedd, Aberdesach
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Llan Ffestiniog

Llan Ffestiniog
Welsh: Ffestiniog

An old bridge near Ffestiniog
OS grid reference
Principal area Gwynedd
Ceremonial county Gwynedd
Country Wales
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town BLAENAU FFESTINIOG
Postcode district LL41
Dialling code 01766
Police North Wales
Fire North Wales
Ambulance Welsh
EU Parliament Wales
UK Parliament Dwyfor Meirionnydd
List of places
UK
Wales
Gwynedd

Llan Ffestiniog, also known as Ffestiniog or simply Llan, is a village in Gwynedd (formerly county of Merionethshire), north Wales, lying south of Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Attractions near the village include the Rhaeadr Cynfal waterfalls and the remains of the Tomen-y-Mur Roman fort and amphitheatre. A decommissioned nuclear power station lies south of the village, at Trawsfynydd.

Elizabeth Gaskell, the Victorian era writer whose novels and short stories were a critique of the era's inequality in industrial cities and of its attitudes towards women, was fond of Ffestiniog. Mr and Mrs Gaskell visited the village and spent some time there on their wedding tour. On another later visit in 1844 it was at the inn there that their young son William caught scarlet fever, from which he died. It was to turn her thoughts from the grief of her bereavement that she upon her husband's advice began to write her first novel, Mary Barton.

Rhaeadr Cynfal, near Llan Ffestiniog
pub, the Pengwern, in his travelogue Wild Wales. He says,

Situated in the square opposite the Pengwern Arms, is the oldest dwelling and established business in the area, Meirion House, a Grade II* listed building. Its name is derived from the county of Meirionydd, and the core of the building is thought to date back to 1411. Several annexes were added on over the years, with a business established in 1726. It has nevertheless retained much of its original character, including the original pitch pine and oak beams and lath and plaster ceiling, slate floors and inglenook fireplace with inset cast iron double oven. There is a headstone inlaid in the slate floor, part of which is under the second stairway, believed to have been constructed in the late 19th century. Part of Meirion House was once a small drover's bank, known as Banc yr Ddafad Ddu ("The Bank Of the Black Sheep"). In the early 19th century, it was a drapers shop. In the early 20th century, it became a guest house with the original visitors book dating back to 1909. It was used extensively by cyclists and was at one time the official quarters of the National Cyclists Union (NCU). In the visitors book there is an entry referencing the ghost of "Elizabeth". The house was owned by Thomas John Wynn, 5th Baron Newborough until 1925, when it was sold to Robert Thomas Williams. During WWII, officials from the National Gallery stayed there, whilst working at the Cwt y Bugail quarry, which was used to house the nation's art galleries' treasures. The houses next door were built on the site of Abbey Arms, an old coaching inn, which once had its own stables.

Ffestiniog railway station opened on 29 May 1868. It was closed to passenger services on 2 January 1960.

See also

External links

  • Landscape photographs in and around Blaenau Ffestiniog
  • www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Llan Ffestiniog and surrounding area

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.