Manning park

E.C. Manning Provincial Park
Hiking the sub-alpine meadows in Manning Park.
Location British Columbia, Canada

49°4′0″N 120°47′0″W / 49.06667°N 120.78333°W / 49.06667; -120.78333Coordinates: 49°4′0″N 120°47′0″W / 49.06667°N 120.78333°W / 49.06667; -120.78333

Area 70,844 hectares
175,059 acres
Established 1941
Governing body BC Parks

E.C. Manning Provincial Park is a provincial park in British Columbia, Canada. It is usually referred to as Manning Park, although that nomenclature is also used to refer to the resort and ski area at the park's core. The park is 70,844 hectares (273.53 square miles).

History and conservation

Established in 1941, the park was named in memory of Ernest Callaway Manning, Chief Forester of British Columbia from 1936 to 1941. Mr. Manning was killed in an airplane accident in 1941. During his time as Chief Forester he was instrumental in developing the idea of setting land aside for future generations to enjoy.

The terrain in the park, which includes most of the Hozameen Range sub-range of the Canadian Cascades, varies from wet coastal rain forests, to jagged snow-capped peaks, alpine meadows filled with wildflowers, to a chain of small lakes, and broad river beds along the valley floors. A network of trails crosses the park, some them following routes used by the fur trade and native hunters and traders. The park is best known for its magnificent midsummer displays of subalpine flowers, but there are other flora such as at Rhododendron Flats, near the park's western entrance, which has a substantial colony of pinkish-red rhododendrons, a protected indigenous species that blooms in early- to mid-June. Some of the less common species the park aims to protect are the Mountain Beaver and the Wolverine.

Manning Park Resort

The park contains a resort with a capacity a little under one thousand. The resort operator maintains the hotel buildings, cabins, chalets, as well as the campgrounds, on contract from the British Columbia Government.

The Resort first opened in the late 1950s with the construction of the Hope-Princeton Highway. The original resort building still stands on the North side of the highway, with the modern facilities on the south side of the highway.

In the 1960s, the resort began ski operations, attempting multiple rope-tow setups, one near the location of the present-day Blue Chairlift. In 1971 and 1972, the Orange and Blue chairlifts opened, respectively. The hill operated December–March yearly since the early 1960s without interruption.

In 2009, the resort and ski hill entered receivership and, after $4.2 millon dollars of debt, announced indefinite closure on April 1, 2013.[1] However, on April 18, the operator of Sunshine Valley RV Resort purchased the hill and resort for and undisclosed amount. The company intends to have the resort reopened for the 2013-2014 season.[2] As of the Summer of 2013, the resort facilities are fully operational, and the ski hill will be open for the 2013-2014 ski season.


The park has a large variety of walking and hiking trails which range anywhere from a 15 minute walk to a 5 or 6 day hike. Lightning Lake is often used for canoeing, and canoe rentals are available.

The park is also the northern terminus of the Pacific Crest Trail.


The park stretches for 58 km from portal to portal. The western portal is 26 km east of Hope, British Columbia and the eastern portal is 52 km west of Princeton, British Columbia. The core area of the park is located 68 km east of Hope and 68 km west of Princeton and is less than 5 km from the US border.

Major rivers

Several major rivers originate in passes and meadows within the park. The Skagit River, a major stream that runs into Puget Sound in the state of Washington, originates at the west side of Allison Pass and flows northwest alongside Highway 3 until it reaches its confluence with the Sumallo River at Sumallo Grove, where it turns southwest and exits the park into Skagit Valley Provincial Park. Just under half of the Sumallo River's course is within the park; it enters the park at West Gate, which is near the small town of Sunshine Valley. It too follows Highway 3 within the park, following it southeast to its confluence with the Skagit. The lower reaches of the small Skaist River, often mistakenly called Skaist Creek, are within the park. The Skaist flows into the Skagit directly across the valley from Silverdaisy Mountain.

The Similkameen River, the largest tributary of the Okanagan River, starts on the west slopes of Nicomen Ridge in the northern regions of the park and flows southeast then northeast through the park, following Highway 3 closely until exiting the park at East Gate.

See also


External links

  • Information
  • Manning Park Resort Website
  • Camping, hiking and canoeing in Manning Provincial Park
  • Manning Park - Lighting Lake
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.