World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Marcianise Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0023971773
Reproduction Date:

Title: Marcianise Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 97th Operations Group, Sainte Marie du Zit Airfield, Enfidaville Airfield, Manduria Airfield, Soliman Airfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Marcianise Airfield

Marcianise Airfield
Part of Twelfth Air Force
Coordinates (Approximate)
Type Military airfield
Site information
Controlled by United States Army Air Forces
Site history
Built 1944
In use 1944-1945
Marcianise Airfield is located in Italy
Marcianise Airfield
Marcianise Airfield
Location of Marcianise Airfield, Italy

Marcianise Airfield is an abandoned World War II military airfield in southeast Italy, which is located approximately 10 km north-northwest of Marcianise in the province of Caserta, Campania; about 32 km north-northwest of Naples. Built in 1943 by United States Army Engineers, the airfield was a large facility capable of handling heavy bombers built for Fifteenth Air Force, which stationed B-17s at the field after the war, prior to their return to the United States. However its primary use was by Air Technical Service Command and by Twelfth Air Force tactical fighter bomber units during the Italian Campaign.

Major units stationed at Marcianise were:

Closed by the Americans on 23 October 1945, today, the location of the airfield is an Italian military base, it's precise use is undetermined. The remains of the main runway can be seen on the base in aerial photography.

See also

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.