World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Missionary Order of Mariannhill

Article Id: WHEBN0021632244
Reproduction Date:

Title: Missionary Order of Mariannhill  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject:
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Missionary Order of Mariannhill

The Missionary Order of Mariannhill is a Roman Catholic religious congregation of the Roman Catholic Church founded on, 1909 by Franz Pfanner, an Austrian Trappist monk. The name of the order come from Mariannhill, a little suburb near Pinetown in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.

Formation of the Missionary Order of Mariannhill

A few months before the death of Abbot Franz Pfanner, the Holy See, at the request of the Trappists of Mariannhill, made a considerable change in their status. The Cistercians' rule in its rigour, for which Abbot Pfanner was most zealous, was found to be an obstacle to missionary development in some particulars. In 1906 Pope Pius X approved the constitutions of the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood, and in 1909 separated Mariannhill from the Trappist Order, erecting their church into a collegiate church, under the leadership of a provost, and changing the name of the group, who were given a milder rule, to that of Missionaries of Mariannhill.

The members of the congregation are exempt from the jurisdiction of the ordinary of the diocese and take simple, but perpetual, vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience, to dedicate the entire life to the missions.

Membership

There at present number about 60 priests, with 260 choir-religious and lay-brothers. From its foundation until 1 January 1910, nearly 20,000 persons, mostly adults, have been baptized in the 55 churches and chapels scattered throughout the 26 missions and stations.

External links

  • Official web site
  • Official web site South Africa
  • Order of Mariannhill in French
  • Catholic Encyclopedia

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.