World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Naval Auxiliary Air Facility Beverly

Article Id: WHEBN0020930889
Reproduction Date:

Title: Naval Auxiliary Air Facility Beverly  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Coast Guard Air Station Salem, Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, Naval Air Station Squantum, Camp Edwards, Beverly, Massachusetts
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Naval Auxiliary Air Facility Beverly

Naval Auxiliary Air Facility Beverly was a United States Navy facility located in Beverly, Massachusetts operational from 1942 to 1945. It existed as an auxiliary air facility of Naval Air Station Squantum.

History

The facility was commissioned on 15 May, 1943 and upgraded the field with a new asphalt runway. The Navy built a control tower, a barracks, and other structures and consisted of four officers and sixty enlisted men. The field provided touch and go practice for students at Naval Air Station Squantum as well as Fleet Air Arm student pilots. Planes from Coast Guard Air Station Salem also used the facility for maritime patrol, as well as a detachment from VS-31, which flew anti-submarine patrols with Douglas SBD-5 aircraft.[1]

Today, the field operates as Beverly Municipal Airport.[1]

References

  1. ^ a b "Massachusetts Naval Air Bases, Coast Guard Bases, Military & Auxiliary Air Fields 1923-1945". Massachusetts Aviation Historical Society. 2011. Retrieved 26 June 2014. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.