World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 155 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0000427855
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 155 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Royal Air Force aircraft squadrons, James Harry Lacey, John Stacey, Bristol Sycamore, Royal Air Force aircraft squadrons
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 155 Squadron RAF

RAF No. 155 Squadron operated Westland Whirlwind HR4 at Kuala Lumpur approximately 1955–59. No.155 Squadron was formed at Chingford on 14 September 1918 as a bomber unit with D.H.9As after an earlier decision to form at Feltham was abandoned. The war ended a few weeks later and it did not become operational, disbanding on 7 December 1918.

On 1 April 1942, No.155 reformed at Peshawar as a squadron but did not receive its first Mohawks until mid-August owing to the necessity to modify these aircraft for operational use. Air defense and convoy patrols began in September off Madras and in October the squadron moved to Bengal and detachments began operating over Burma. Reconnaissance, ground attack and bomber escort missions occupied the squadron until January 1944, when it finally replaced its Mohawks with Spitfires. Initially these were used for air defense duties until the Japanese air force in Burma ceased to be a threat. Ground attack missions and escort for transport missions then became its main tasks, the Spitfires carrying 500-lb bombs during the last months of the campaign. In mid-September 1945, the squadron flew to Singapore soon after the Japanese surrender and in February 1946, moved to Sumatra to provide tactical support for the Army units there until disbanded on 31 August 1946.

On September 1954, No.155 reformed at Kuala Lumpur with Whirlwind helicopters and provided transport and casualty evacuation support for the Army and police in Malaya during their flight against Communist guerrillas in the jungle. On 3 June 1959, it merged with No.194 to form No.110 Squadron.

External links

  • Website


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.