World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 241 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0009074275
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 241 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Royal Air Force aircraft squadrons, RAF Inverness, List of Westland Lysander operators, Short Type 184, Northwest African Tactical Air Force
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 241 Squadron RAF

No. 241 Squadron RAF
Active 1918-1919, 1940-1945
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Motto "Find and forewarn"

No. 241 Squadron is a former squadron of the Royal Air Force (RAF) formed during the First World War.

History

No. 241 Squadron was formed in August 1918 from the former Royal Naval Air Service flights operating at the RNAS seaplane station at the Isle of Portland (HMS Serepta) and their airfield at Chickerell; Flight numbers 416, 417 and 513. They continued to fly patrols over the English Channel hunting submarines until the end of the war. The squadron was disbanded the following year, on 18 June 1919.

The squadron was reformed in the Second World War. A flight of No. 614 Squadron RAF was redesignated as 241 Squadron on 25 September 1940 at Inverness.

The squadron initially operated the Westland Lysander. To this were added some Blackburn Roc naval dive bombers and some Curtiss Tomahawks. In April 1942, the squadron moved to North Africa with Hawker Hurricanes where it flew reconnaissance and ground attack during the Tunisian campaign.

The Hurricanes were replaced with Spitfires in December 1943. The squadron operated various reconnaissance and ground attack duties in Italy until the end of the war. The squadron was disbanded on 14 August 1945.

References

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/h241.html as accessed on 10 January 2007

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.