World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nyírbátor

Article Id: WHEBN0008114848
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nyírbátor  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Zoltán Béres, Hungarian Crown, Kék, Báthory family, Csaroda
Collection: Gothic Architecture in Hungary, Populated Places in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County, Szabolcs County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Nyírbátor

Nyírbátor
Coat of arms of Nyírbátor
Coat of arms
Country  Hungary
County Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
Area
 • Total 66.73 km2 (25.76 sq mi)
Population (2005)
 • Total 13,191
 • Density 200.64/km2 (519.7/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 4300
Area code(s) 42
Location of Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg county in Hungary

Nyírbátor (Hungarian pronunciation: ) is a town in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, in the Northern Great Plain region of eastern Hungary. With its historic atmosphere, this city is known for its 15th- and 16th-century ecclesiastic and secular architectural heritage and for the Báthory family, former landowners.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Photo gallery 3
  • Notable people 4
  • International relations 5
    • Twin towns — sister cities 5.1
  • See also 6
  • References 7

Geography

It covers an area of 66.73 km2 (26 sq mi) and has a population of 13,191 (2005).

History

The first written record of the settlement dates from 1279. Its name stems from the Old Turkish word 'batir' or Mongolian 'bator' (originally meaning a 'good hero', and corresponding to 'bátor' in modern Hungarian). At that time, the ancestors of the Báthorys, the Gutkeled clan, already owned the land. The town became the administrative centre of their estates and also the family burial site. The family owned the town until the death of Gabriel Báthory, Prince of Transylvania in 1613.

The town was of great significance in Hungarian history during the 16th century. In 1549, the legates of King Ferdinand I and of Isabella agreed to return Transylvania to the Kingdom of Hungary. During the decades that followed there was a lasting dispute as to whom the town belonged since the local aristocrats were more inclined to recognise the sovereignty of the ruling prince of Transylvania.

By the 18th century the town had become impoverished. In the course of the 1872 reorganisation of public administration it lost its city rights that were returned only in 1973.

Numerous heritage buildings have remained from the town's heyday. The best known is what is now the Reformed Church. Built between 1488 and 1511, it is one of the most beautiful International Gothic structures in Hungary. The late Renaissance-style belfry next to it is the largest wooden bell tower in the country.

Franciscan monks built their monastery church around 1480 in a late Gothic style. Its altars and its pulpit are among the most beautifully carved Baroque works in the country. Standing near the church is the building which now houses the István Báthori Museum. Originally a Baroque Minorite monastery, it was built on the site of an earlier monastery.

Photo gallery

Notable people

International relations

Twin towns — sister cities

Nyírbátor is twinned with:

See also

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.