World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palau Reial Major

Article Id: WHEBN0028868343
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palau Reial Major  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Barcelona City History Museum, Jaume Huguet, Joan Terès i Borrull, Barcelona, Plaça del Rei
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palau Reial Major

Façade of the palace

The Palau Reial Major (Catalan pronunciation: , "Grand Royal Palace") is a complex of historic buildings located in Plaça del Rei, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It was a residence of the counts of Barcelona and, later, of the Kings of Aragon. It is composed of three distinct edifices:

  • the Saló del Tinell, built by King Peter IV in 1359-1362
  • the Palatine Chapel of St. Agatha (1302), built under King James II
  • the Palau del Lloctinent (1549), built by Charles V.

The Saló del Tinell was built in the 14th century under the direction of architect Guillem Carbonell. Its gothic round arches are founded over 11th-century vaults (built themselves over a pre-existing monumental structure dating to the Visigoth age). The Chapel of St. Agatha was designed by architect Bertran Riquer to act as royal chapel, replacing a previous oratory. It has an octagonal tower from the early 14th century, and it consists of a single aisle with a roof ceiling, and ends with a polygonal apse. The sacristy is built within the ancient Roman walls. By commission of Peter V of Aragon (1463-1466) painter Jaume Huguet made the chapel altarpiece dedicated to the Epiphany.

Both Saló del Tinell and St. Agatha Chapel are valuated as Catalan Gothic architecture masterpieces. The Epiphany altarpiece is also an outstanding gothic painting. They can be visited as a part of the Barcelona City History Museum MUHBA. Temporary exhibitions are held in them.

After the 16th century, the edifice was no longer used as royal residence, and was divided between the Inquisition and the royal administration. In this period the door leading to the Royal Audience Hall was built, with a triangular tympanum (currently at the entrance of the Museu Frederic Marès).

The Palau de Lloctinent was built in 1549-1557 by Antoni Carbonell, in late Gothic-Renaissance style. Also from this period is the so-called Mirador of King Martin, a five-storey tower on a rectangular plan (1555).

Gallery

References

  • "L'Art Gòtic a Catalunya. Barcelona". Enciclopèdia Catalana (in Catalan) III. 2003.  

External links

  • MUHBA Plaça del Rei (in Spanish)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.