World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Penàguila

Article Id: WHEBN0014918177
Reproduction Date:

Title: Penàguila  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Province of Alicante, List of municipalities in Alicante, Alcoià
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Penàguila

This article is about a town in Spain. For the Alicante province, see Province of Alicante. For the Alicante wine region, see Alicante (DO). For other uses, see Penàguila (disambiguation).

Penàguila (Valencian pronunciation: [peˈnaɣila], Spanish: Penáguila [peˈnaɣila]) is a municipality in the comarca of Alcoià, Alicante, Valencia, Spain.

Penáguila
Town

General view of Penáguila

Coat of arms
Penáguila
Penáguila
Location of Penáguila in Spain

Coordinates: 38°40′45″N 0°21′33″W / 38.67917°N 0.35917°W / 38.67917; -0.35917Coordinates: 38°40′45″N 0°21′33″W / 38.67917°N 0.35917°W / 38.67917; -0.35917

Country  Spain
Autonomous Community  Valencian Community
Province Alicante
Comarca Alcoiá
Founded 324 BC
Government
 • Mayor Carlos Blanes Gisbert (PP)
Demonym alacantí, -ina (va)
alicantino/a (es)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 03815
Area code(s) +34 (ES) + 96 (A)
Website

Geography

Located at the foot of the Sierra de Penáguila in Pre-Baetic Valencian domain, the municipality extends from Morro Ull (1050 m), west to the top of the Creueta, east, forming part of the northern slopes of the Sierra de Aitana and open to the pit of Alcoy. The term river running through Frainós or Penáguila, east of the town, which flows into the river Alcoy Serpis or when it reaches Cocentaina.

History

Of Muslim origin, the villa was totally walled, and currently some ruins of the walls and towers remain.   On April 8, 1276, James I promised Lacerates Berenguer Mayor Penáguila Castle, divide the lands of the same men who guard it strength. On September 26, 1278, Peter III granted Penáguila a town charter. In 1338, Pedro of Aragon ordered the fortification of the castle. During the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the manor belonged to the Fenollar family before it became part of the crown. Penáguila was a royal town with voting rights in the courts.

In contrary to other places in the area, Penáguila consisted of a largely Christian population, so the decree of expulsion of the Moors, in 1609, was a not important to its demographics: the 200 homes registered before expulsion were reduced to 145, and did not involve an excessive loss.   Penáguila belonged until 1707 to the governor of Xativa, and until 1833, was part of the township of Alcoy. With the provincial division of 1833 it was included in the Province of Alicante.

Economy

A little more than half of the municipal area is cropland (54%), the other half is forest land (46%). The breeding ground is practically all of dry (2,480 ha), where the predominant olive (over 1,400 ha), there are also almond (365 ha) and minor surfaces fruit trees (peaches , plums, apples). Irrigation is minimal (41 ha) and is dedicated to horticultural crops and a variety of fruit. Agricultural activities are organized in cooperative farmers Virgen del Patrocinio.

External links

  • Índice estadístico municipal de Penáguila (Unidad de Documentación de la Diputación de Alicante).
  • Penáguila en el Registro de Entidades Locales de la Generalidad Valenciana
  • This article incorporates material from the website of the GFDL licence.
  • Blog de Penàguila Blog acerca de Penàguila, con numerosas fotografías históricas y reportajes del municipio.

Categoría:Localidades de la provincia de Alicante Categoría:Municipios de la provincia de Alicante

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.