World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pennsylvania Station

Article Id: WHEBN0002667506
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pennsylvania Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 30th Street Station, Trenton Transit Center, Penn Central Transportation, Napoleon LeBrun, Midtown South Community Council
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pennsylvania Station

Pennsylvania Station (normally abbreviated Penn Station) is a name applied by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) to several of its grand passenger terminals. In the early 20th century different railroad companies typically used different stations, especially in major cities or towns, so the station usually took the name of the company. (If various railroads combined to use the same depot, the place often took the name Union station.)[1]

Contents

  • New York City 1
  • Newark 2
  • Baltimore 3
  • Philadelphia 4
  • Harrisburg 5
  • Pittsburgh 6
  • Cleveland 7
  • Cincinnati 8
  • Hobart, Indiana 9
  • PRR stations not named Pennsylvania Station 10
  • Penn Central Station 11
  • Further reading 12
  • External links 13

New York City

New York City's Penn Station opened September 8, 1910 for Long Island Rail Road trains via the new tunnel under the East River. Pennsylvania Railroad trains began using it November 27, supplementing and eventually replacing the old New York City-area terminal across the Hudson River at Exchange Place in Jersey City. The name was adopted by the PRR on March 1, 1909. The opening of the Hell Gate Bridge on April 1, 1917 brought New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad intercity trains into Penn Station. The station now lies along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and Empire Corridor, and also serves New Jersey Transit and Long Island Rail Road commuter trains.

Newark

Newark, New Jersey's Penn Station opened in 1935, replacing a smaller structure. It now serves NJ Transit trains, buses and Newark Light Rail, Amtrak Northeast Corridor and other intercity trains, PATH trains to Jersey City/Lower Manhattan and Greyhound buses..

Baltimore

Baltimore, Maryland's Union Station was renamed Penn Station on August 1, 1928. Amtrak Northeast Corridor intercity service and MARC commuter service still operate through the station; the station is also served by a spur of the Baltimore Light Rail.

Philadelphia

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania's 30th Street Station was named Pennsylvania Station when the upper (commuter) level opened on September 28, 1930. It was renamed Pennsylvania Station-30th Street on April 26, 1933, soon after the lower (intercity) level opened on March 12. Intercity PRR trains used that station, while commuter trains continued east to terminate at Suburban Station. The station is still used by Amtrak intercity service, New Jersey Transit Atlantic City service, and SEPTA commuter service.

Harrisburg

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's Union Station was also known as Penn Station. It was built in 1887 and rebuilt in 1905. It was shared by Reading Railroad, Northern Central Railway, and the Cumberland Valley Railroad, until the Reading Railroad built a separate station in Harrisburg. Today it has the name Harrisburg Transportation Center and serves Amtrak's Keystone Service and Pennsylvanian intercity lines, along with Greyhound, Trailways, and local bus services.

Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's Union Station was renamed Penn Station on December 17, 1912. It is still used by Amtrak intercity service.

Cleveland

Cleveland, Ohio's old Lakefront Union Depot was renamed Penn Station on April 28, 1946. It was last used September 27, 1953, and service was cut back the next day to Euclid Avenue. Amtrak's current Cleveland station is near the former Penn Station.

Cincinnati

The PRR station in Cincinnati, Ohio at Pearl and Butler Streets was named Pennsylvania Station. It was supplanted with the opening of Cincinnati Union Terminal in 1933.[2]

Hobart, Indiana

PRR stations not named Pennsylvania Station

Other major PRR terminals that never received the Penn Station name include Washington, D.C.'s Union Station, Chicago's Union Station and Cincinnati's Union Terminal. These were all used by other railroads in addition to the PRR. Dennison, Ohio's PRR station was named Pennsylvania Railroad Depot and Baggage Room while Fort Wayne, Indiana's station, though officially designated Pennsylvania Railroad Station was also called Baker Street Station.

Penn Central Station

With the 1968 merger of the PRR into Penn Central, several of the Pennsylvania Stations were renamed on June 6 to Penn Central Station. Philadelphia's Pennsylvania Station-30th Street became Penn Central Station-30th Street, and Baltimore's Pennsylvania Station and Pittsburgh's Pennsylvania Station both became simply Penn Central Station. Additionally, the New York Central Railroad's (NYC) Buffalo Central Station and Michigan Central Station in Detroit, Michigan received the new name. The stations in New York City and Newark, New Jersey kept the old name, the former because Penn Central also operated Grand Central Terminal.

The two former New York Central Railroad stations (Buffalo and Detroit) have since closed, and the Baltimore and Pittsburgh stations have returned to the name Pennsylvania Station. The Philadelphia station is now known as simply 30th Street Station.

Further reading

  • Jonnes, Jill. Conquering Gotham: Building Penn Station and Its Tunnels (Penguin Books, 2007). 370pp

External links

  • PRR Chronology
  1. ^ Jaffe, Eric. "Why Are There Still So Many Train Stations Named Penn Station?". The Atlantic Cities.  
  2. ^ Cincinnati Union Terminal: The Design and Construction of an Art Deco Masterpiece. Cincinnati, Ohio: Cincinnati Railroad Club, Inc. October 1999. pp. 13–16.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.