World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Perkins, Maine

Article Id: WHEBN0011064481
Reproduction Date:

Title: Perkins, Maine  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of New England towns, Eastern River, Little River (Kennebec River)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Perkins, Maine

Swan Island Historic District
Template:Designation/text
Nearest city Richmond, Maine
Area 1,500 acres (610 ha)
Built 1763
Architectural style Colonial, Federal, Late Victorian
Governing body State
NRHP Reference # 95001461[1]
Added to NRHP December 14, 1995

Perkins Township (Swan Island) is an unorganized territory in Sagadahoc County, Maine, United States. Originally incorporated as the town of Perkins, it has been uninhabited since being abandoned by the 1940s. The township comprises Swan Island, Little Swan Island and some tidal flats - all within the Kennebec River between the towns of Richmond and Dresden, Maine.

The "Swan Island Historic District" (Perkins Township Historic District) comprises much of the township with 8 buildings, 5 structures and 1,500 acres (6.1 km2). Some of the buildings date to the 1750s. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

The town of Perkins was incorporated in the mid-19th century and then disincorporated in 1918, becoming Perkins Township, its legal name. Its population was 0 at the 2010 census.

The township is managed by the Department of Inland Fish and Wildlife as the Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area. This web page provides information on public access - which is restricted. Swan Island is known for its abundant wildlife.

History

During the 19th century, the town of Perkins was a community of almost 100 residents who under-took shipbuilding, farming and ice harvesting. The island also attracted summer residents who built summer homes, and its most famous summer resident was Thomas Handasyd Perkins. The town was named for him when it was incorporated in the mid-19th century, after he paid for incorporation.

Besides town government the town also had a schoolhouse and cemetery. However the town was disincorporated in 1918, so it became a township managed by the state. By the mid-1940s the Great Depression and ongoing pollution of the Kennebec River led to the decline of the island's industries and the island was abandoned.

Little was done until the 1990s when efforts were made to protect some of the buildings, a process that is ongoing.

Geography

According to the United States Census Bureau, the location has a total area of 9.7 km² (3.7 mi²). 5.8 km² (2.2 mi²) of it is land and 3.9 km² (1.5 mi²) of it (40.37%) is water.

Demographics

As of the 2010 Census[2], there were no people living in the location.

References

External links

  • Friends of Swan Island A non-profit volunteer group dedicated to helping preserve Swan Island's historic homesteads.
  • National Register of Historic Places for Sagadahoc County
  • Maine Genealogy: Perkins Township, Sagadahoc County, Maine

Coordinates: 44°02′46″N 69°48′06″W / 44.04611°N 69.80167°W / 44.04611; -69.80167

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.